What kind of bedding?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by pennylullabelle, Jan 28, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

What kind of bedding do you use in your stalls? I bought 1/2 ton of straw because it's what my feed store recommended. I'm on the last bale and I am wondering if there is something better out there. It seems like...for how much straw I have to throw out...it's just not very efficient? :cart:

How about wood shavings? That's very popular around here...

Compressed pellets? Usually they are saw dust that has been formed into pellets and dehydrated, but I've seen other types. Tried these?

What do you use and why?

2. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

My does pick through their hay so I take the stuff they don't want, mix it with my straw and use it for bedding. ;) Works great for me.

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    When I used to feed the goats inside we used the stall pellets. Then this fall I decided to use pine shavings with straw on top thinking that since the goats were eating outside they wouldn't get the straw and shavings dirty so fast....wrong. They decided it was great to eat the straw. Now I only feed the goats outside and use just pine shavings. So much less poop and peed on shavings since the goats aren't inside standing, eating, peeing and pooping.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Shavings are easier to clean, but doesn't help keep them as warm as as straw, and at least for where we are, shaving are more expensive. So I just use straw. My goats seem to enjoy picking through it and finding any grain bits. We bale up our own straw after our wheat crop...so I guess that's the main reason I use straw. ;)

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    old hay, anything they wont touch (not much right now) goes onto the floor.

6. pennylullabelle

Idaho - do you find you have to waste a lot? For me...I am throwing away 1.5 bales of soiled bedding a weed. It's a lot to lift, a lot to shovel...and man do my garbage men HATE me because the cans get h-e-a-v-y :GAAH: :slapfloor:

bhelia - I had all my goats in two stalls for about 2 weeks because we had so much snow it was up to the stomachs on the goats. As you can imagine they plopped down in their stalls and wouldn't budge! No way a single one was going outside...except Porsche...and only to follow me because she is my baby. Anyways! After 2 weeks...8 goats...2 stalls...I went in and stripped the bedding the the floor...Holy smokes that was a lot of WET and HEAVY straw!!! :doh: :sick:

So glad to have the feeders OUTSIDE now!
    But the shavings work well for ya with the goats only in there to sleep huh? Hmmm...thinking I would like to give it a while...way less messy to move too!

KW - Straw is $9 a bale, shavings are $5 a bag...ehhh...lol But the warmth definitely intrigues me.

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Oh yes, I love that I don't have to clean out the shavings so often. The only thing I have inside is their minerals and water. I will spot clean inside every once in a while just because I'm already out doing outside clean up.

8. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I use straw because like KW we bale our own. But even if we didnt it is way cheeper here. Straw is $2.50-$3.50 for a bale and the shavings are anywhere from $5-$9.

9. pennylullabelle

Holy smokes!! $2.50??? Straw costs more then alfalfa here...and I mean GOOD alfalfa.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use the wasted hay from around the manger -- I dont buy bedding

11. AngelGoats

AngelGoats New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I use bedding on the bottom, thin layer, then use the old hay that the goats will not touch! It is a great way to recycle.

12. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Last winter I started laying down straw/hay mix and I ended up wasting less straw. . . .I changed once a week for having four does in there 2 standards and 2 minis.
    We usually spread the manure on our garden or burn it during burning season.
    We get free shavings. :D which is really, really, really super nice. I only use shavings for kidding though. . . but when it get's wet and they end up staying inside more, I spread a thin layer of shavings, and then spread my hay/straw mix. Works great and it's cheap! :)

13. pennylullabelle

See...I don't know if it's my feeders or the hay I feed...but there just isn't enough hay wasted to use as bedding. There is maybe enough down there...after a week or so...to cover 3-4 sq ft. But the goats have soiled it anyway. So...using wasted hay as bedding is basically out for me.

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Holy cow!! $9 bucks a bale!!!...for straw??!! Here it's like $2 to $3, but I guess, you guys don't have a lot of wheat and agricultural land in NV. If shavings are cheaper then i'd just go with that.

15. pennylullabelle

Pretty much the only thing that you can grow here is...alfalfa..and oats. lol and even then it takes a LOT more work then many other places. The soil is actually very rick in some areas. But...the dry heat and no rain? Not so good for the plants!

Okay, so I'm making a trip to wally world to get a few bags of bedding to try tomorrow.

16. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I use pellets on the bottom and mulch hay on top. Around here in CT pellets are about 6.50 per bag and mulch hay is 2.50 a bale. Feed hay is 4.50. When we clean the stalls we put down one bag of pellets and 1/2 a bale of mulch hay. Then if hayt falls from the manger it just goes on top. I do the deep bedding somewhat and let it build up for about a month replacing dry mulch hay whenever things look wet/soiled. The cleanout is yuck and heavy but we throw it into a huge compost pile. I do find that it works for us and saves money. Oh- we have a wood floor also.

17. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Mine two bed down in a calf hutch. Under the calf hutch I have a rubber mat so that they aren;t right on the ground wheen it gets sloshy here.

Then I put some shavings on top of the mat - then hay that they have wasted on top of that.

I strip it about once a month and start from the beginning.

18. pennylullabelle

Okay, I laid down some shavings and then a layer of straw. We'll see how it goes!!

But...rubber mats sounds awesome! I wonder if I could get big ones like for the inside a trailer...hmmm...that'd be way easier to clean! I have yucky dirt floors

19. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

If you have a local sawmill, ask them about getting free wood shavings. I have two mills by my house that offer it for free--we just have to bag it ourselves in thick plastic garbage bags. So needless to say, I'm off tomorrow to get about 10 more bags. I love shavings--they make the place smell so good. I occasionally throw a bale of straw on top during the winter to keep the dust content down a bit though & give them something else to snuggle in to keep warm. Actually I usually throw the bale in with twine on it still so the girls can play & nibble at it..usually after an hour or two they have it spread all over by themselves. Crazy goats :)

20. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    My grandfather owns a sawmill, so I can get shavings for free. So, I use that with straw mixed in for warmth. I also do a "deep litter" method and just add more on top until it looks yuck, then do a big clean out. It all gets composted for our garden and the neighbors. They love free fertilizer :)