What kind of clippers do you use?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dover Farms, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    We have an Lister Star for a body clipper and just got a Arco SE by Wahl about a month or so ago...haven't tried that one yet. We have heard that the Arco's are really good though. The Lister's are okay, but they get really hot sometimes.

What kind of clippers do you use? :)

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I use Oster A5's for the body and then a medium sized clipper for thier head legs and udder area, I forgot what it is called but I LOVE it. It is really cheap too, it is $36 from Tractor Supply

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We use the Premier 4000c with Xtra cover blades, they are really expensive clippers but they do the BEST job out of any clippers I've seen. I plan on buying some Oster A5 clippers for udders.

4. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    I use Lister Star for bodies with medium blade and Oster A5 with #10 blades for the feet and around face. I use a #50 on udders

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have two pairs of oster a5's one single speed and one dual. I use a ten on the legs, a seven on the body and head and a fourty on the udder. The morning r night before a show i bic the entire udder.
    beth

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    it is a disposable razor

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I know that haha, I am really really slow today I guess I am just tired. Thanks Alyssa.

8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    you're welcome! I use a whal show pro, wahl pet clippers and some cheap oster clippers.....the osters were given to me and I paid $30 a pair for the others.

9. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I too just use two of the A-5 osters. We have several blades, I use a 4 for winter shows and a 10 or a 7 for summer shows. I use a 15 for legs and face and a 30 for udders. (yes I am too chicken to use a 40 or a bic. lol) Oh, and at least two of each blade if you are serious about it. These clipers get hot, and are meant to, that's why you get two of them, blades too. They are a good strong, durable clipper.
    (For the fiber goats I clip them with the shearmaster and the 'goat-comb' blade or I just use scissors.)
    HTH

10. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    We have an A5, but for some reason I don't like it. It is loud, big, and gets hot very fast, and has a cord. So I use the cordless pro clipper from wahl I think. It is blue, very quiet, easy to hold, stays cool a very long time, I can clip an adult goat in 1-2 charges! I love it! The goats love it too because you can hardly here it. But I hate how all the hair sticks to you and is so itchy!!!!!!!!!!

11. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I know what you mean Ashlyn!!! I absolutely hate having shaved goat hair all over my clothes stabbing me! LOL! Especially on a hot summer day! Yuck! Although I do like how the goat looks after I am all done! :D

Our Lister's are big, loud, and has a cord, but I never use them on the legs anyways....just the body. The Arco's are cordless and they shaved baby fuzz pretty good yesterday...considering I was shaving the swirly hair around the horn bud!

Has anyone ever used an Andis?? Did you like it?

12. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I used an Andis cordless, it is OK, not awesome. I use an apron when I clip, I change into a tank top and shorts first though lol. But the apron works REALLY well to keep hair off of me.

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I absoulutly love the clippers I bought from Tractor Supply, the are super quiet and have an adjustable blade which is nice in some ways, but you cant change blades (atleast I don't think so..)

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh, what do you guys do for blade care?

15. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I'll have to try the an apron! Last year I tried using.....don't laugh!....a plastic garbage bag....that was too hot!!! :lol:

We have a small clipper from TSC...by Wahl called Stable Pro or Master or something like that! Anyways...that thing vibrates and the goats hate it, especially ones that don't like their legs being touched. And the little retarded lever thingy doesn't stay down. And if you have a goat kicking(like my showmanship goat, Lady, whom I don't have any more) and just bump the lever it makes it go to the shortest blade and I don't realize and give the goat a bald spot(remember...showmanship goat! NOT good!).

Hmm....blade care. We oil before, while, and after shaving. And of course, we brush all the hair off when we're done. When blades are dull...we send them off to be sharpened. We have two sets of blades for each clipper, so when one set is being sharpened...we can use the other. And right at this point in time...I can't think of anything else we do to the blades.

Oh and and for doing inside the ears and toes....we have a Pocket Pro by Wahl.

16. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Ashlynn, you said 1-2 charges, you have to wait for the clippers to charge before you are done with the animal?! Sorry, I need to get several doats done in a day, no time to wait. ;)

Chelsey, blade care: I use the 3 in 1 spray while I am clipping to cool and lube. I tke my blades to the feed store who has a person that sharpens them for a small fee.

17. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have had those stable pro kind my goats hated them to lol. I think they discontinued the kind that I have. They are a few years old. I just ordered a medium pair of Wahl clippers they are really nice ones. I personally do not like cordless, they never last as long as they say they will.

18. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh and Jacque, I have done the Garbage bag thing too lol.

19. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    LOL!! Atleast I am not alone.... :p :lol: