What Kind of Fencing do you have?

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by hornless, Apr 20, 2008.

1. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Just wondering what kind of fencing everyone has and how big their enclosures are.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    For the yards, we use cattle panels, and for fencing the pastures, we use Redbrand 4x4 woven wire goat fence. Its the best and the goats cannot wreck it. I'm not sure how big our pastures are.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    For their yards I have the galvanized goat panels...not sure on size but it took 40 16 foot panels to do both buck and doe pens. As far as pasture fencing,, I don't fence...I play "goat herder" LOL...They wander and browse a few hours every day and come when called.

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    RedTop 2x4 woven wire on wooden fence posts -pricey but I only have a small place.

5. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    we have 2 buildings the goats can go in and out of, the milk room (milking supplies are behind a pallet wall) and their main housing ( 8 x 12) outside we run electric fencing, just turned it back on today, the little kids seem to be staying clear of it

6. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    my pasture is 40X60 and i use red brand woven wire for goats with metal posts but wood in the corners
    i have used it before when i had a herd of grade goats
    i had one doe that was a boer cross and she was HUGE
    she would walk her front feet up the fence until it buckled under her and stand there and let the whole herd out then jump over it
    we had to put every other wood post and every other metal post about 3' apart to stop her
    but i have no probs with the mini nubians

7. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I used 2"x4" woven wire horse fencing and the does pasture is 1.5 acres and the bucks have 1 acre and my new chickens have a 40'x 75' pen.

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I use mostly cattle panels for my pens and all, and the pasture is electric.

But, just recently I got some woven wire fencing called Stay Tuff. It is THE BEST, I've found. High tensile wire and it stays super tight, hasn't loosened up one bit since it was put up several months ago. I love it.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

my baby pen is red brand deer and orchard fence, it has smaller squares at the bottem. The buck and doe pens are four foot high five line electric fence. I use the polybraid rather then the tape or wire.
    Not really sure how big the pens are.
    beth

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Tons of electric and a very strong fence charger! I have some welded wire fencing, but I have electric along it to stop them from rubbing on it.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i love my electric fence. more so then any woven wire. they dont climb on it its easy to fix and maintain and easy to move. I also never havea problem with collers getting stuck on anything. they dont put their heads into places they shouldnt i can leave nylon collers on everyone. Except babies. i gotta have something to lead those unruley yearlings back to the pen when they decide its their turn to be milked...lol i have a couple that think it looks cool and rush the gate.
    beth

12. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    I have a 2 acre pasture for them and a HUGE barn! Our fencing is cattle fencing (I know its not the best but we have ways of dealing with those who keep etting stuck (ie.....PVC PIPE AND DUCT TAPE ON THE HORNS!!! lol! :clap: ) Our goats browse all day then are locked in the barn at night (had a coyote problem when we first started.

CJ

13. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    We use hog paneling; I'm not sure if it's the same as cow paneling or not, just that the openings are much smaller from the ground up about 2', then they go to 6" squares. The smaller openings at the bottom keep the little guys from jumping through the holes. It's sturdy, and it's easy to cut so we can have the feed pans hanging outside and they can stick their heads through to eat. Easier to fill the pans and water buckets, and no goatberries as garnish!

14. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Goatberries as garnish now that is too funny

15. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    We have 48 inch high 12 1/2 guage woven wire fencing alternating metal and wooden posts .We had electric but it didn't work very well for us.I have no clue how big the pens are?LOL!

16. sesa

sesa New Member

May 14, 2009
    Maryland
    How does everyone feel about 4' chain link for 2 LaManchas ?

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Chainlink would work great provided you have the support needed to keep them from pushing it outward.....and as long as they won't jump it :wink: Some goats are "jumpers", not all though and those jumpers can be any breed..my mini's are too bottom heavy to clear the 4 foot panels I have but they are notorious "fence benders" which is why I went with the galvanized panels to replace the original welded wire :greengrin:

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah chainlink should work fine - as Liz said be sure to brace it properly

19. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

When i first goat goats we had chainlink. We used all wood posts and had three wood rails, top middle and bottem. It worked good buts its kind of pricey.
    beth