The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pondering which fencing we should get for the nubian doelings we will get next year. 4ft high goat fencing with 4x4openings runs about 250ish$ for 330 ft, cheap, but how well does it hold up, also chickens that might be housed with goats might get through.(and kids too) horse fencing is about 250$ too, but its only 200ft. but it has 2x4in openings and chickens and goats cant get through . The cheapest is welded wire , 5ft high withe 2x4in holes for 90$ or 4ft for 75$ and those would be 100ft rolls. But i am concerned that goat might pop the welded connections.
I also can get a hold of used 4ft chainlink fencing from the company that we rent our fence from (Army housing, we usually rent fences on post) , the lady in the office likes our family and they would give us a good deal.
I want to fence an area that is either 50x50ft or up to 50x100ft depending on the place we buy and what we can afford.
So given the fact that we will have two nubian goats, some poultry and live in an area that also has plenty wildlife what will be the best for us? Would running a few lines of elctric fence on the inside be a good idea too?
Sorry for all the newb questions, but i always have to plan everything well ahead.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I have the horse fencing, I have two 5 month Alpines, and so far it is holding up very well, I have thought about running an electric wire about shoulder height once they are full grown. If you can get chain link for a good price, I've heard that it works very well. You could also consider using all electric, 5 strands holds most goats, I should think a buck would require more though. :)

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
I have chain link with the proper tensioner wire top and bottom. I really have been impressed by it and it's very easy to work with.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I use dog kennel panels that are chain link, and I have Red Brand sheep and goat fencing that I like also. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 70 x 100 pen made from red brand no climb horse fence 2" x 4" x 4' high. Very pleased with it but am still gonna put a few strands of electric in and out of the pen. I have all boers and they like to rub and climb on the fence especially when it's feed time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts