The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have A horse field with 3 wire electric fence with T-post... what would be something that would work with goats, I haven't used anything but combo fence before but this is a much larger field now

·
Super Moderator
14,789 Posts
I have Oklahoma brand max tight 2x4 inch, five ft. tall horse/field fence. LOVE this stuff and it holds up. You do want to use a fence stretcher to get it very tight, but if you do that it works great.
Its expensive as heck but that is the best. The holes are small WO no kids escape and no heads get stuck. It also seems to hold up better if something tries to jump it and smashes it down. I have the larger hole field fence and works good as well but I do worry about stuck heads. If you do go with a type of field fence paying for better quality is sooooo worth it. I have one pen in the cheaper stuff and its crap to the pen with red brand wire.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm using cattle panels with poultry netting around the bottom. I wish I could use something like the horse fence but I have no way of stretching it. And I usually do a lot of the farm work on my own. My husband works an odd shift so he can't help me out all the time. And the panels I can handle on my own. And they are mobile. They are expensive though.

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
I'm a younger gal and can do all the fence work myself. ;) All you need is something very sturdy like a post, one or two fence stretchers, some rope or wire, and a little muscle. I actually put some new fencing up the other day and tied the stretchers to the post with baling twine. Worked great.

Here's what I used. We used to have a better one that you could just run a metal rod through the wire and hook it to the one stretcher, but that went missing so I used one of these on the top and one on the bottom and stretched the wire as much as I could.

·
Super Moderator
14,789 Posts
Or you can use a crowbar or something strong and use it to stretch by the post your gonna staple to. It messes the holes up a tad but works and so far no one has took off with my crowbar to 'borrow' and forget to bring back lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts