What kind of Goat am I

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by bbredmom, Oct 6, 2008.

1. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Hello! I am considering getting these three goats, and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what kind they are. The woman says the two spotted ones are Boer, and the middle one is a Boer/Alpine mix. I dont think the spotted ones are boer-I've never seen them with spots, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    The word "cute" comes to mind.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    DITTO

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The spotted one definately looks like a Boer Mix to me. I am attaching a pic of one of my kids that is 50% nigerian, 25% Boer and 25% saanan that I just sold. He was spotted and his brother was pure white. Their mother is 50% Boer 50% Saanan and she has a few spots.

The others - well - they are just darn cute! :shrug:

[​IMG]

Spot with his brother -

[​IMG]

This is "spot"'s dam

[​IMG]

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree that the spotted one is a boer x ,I know I am not helping much..................

I also agree they are so............cute and the kids are adorable........... :love:

6. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    The black and white one definately has another breed (with erect ears) ... look at it's ears, they're not floppy like the boer or nubian.

The brown and white one looks like a mix to, perhaps with some nubian in ?? The ears are really nice and floppy, so it could be boer x nubian, or boer x something else far back in it's lines. Does the brown and white one have a roman nose ? can't tell on them pics.

What size are they ? They don't look very big, but it's hard to tell without something to compare to on the pic. If they're not very big, they could even be mixed with nd or something. It's just hard to tell on those pics.

7. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I haven't met them yet, I do that tomorrow, but the girl said they were "not small, but not too big either". I'm guessing a mid range goat, maybe pygmy cross size.

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Do you have a purpose for these goats? Are they male or female? They look friendly enough! And
    very cute for sure! Do you know how old they are?

9. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Id say the brown and white one is about 75% boer and the one on the right has very very little if any boer in it.

10. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    These goats would be justpets and brush control! Plus to keep my lonely Rosie company. Her two buddies were killed by wild dogs this past week.

They are about 1.5 years old, and either the buck is shooting blanks, or the doe is sterile, b.c they have been together for two heat cycles, have "done the deed", and yet there are no babies!

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they are mix breeds. Dont be so sure that he hasnt done the deed yet --- some do it at night ;)

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I had a doe that would not take for the life of me. Ran with a buck for over a year. However, a new buck came in and she was pregnant instantly with triplets as a FF!!!

13. artsy_farmgirl

artsy_farmgirl Goat Fancier

Feb 29, 2008
    Florida
    I think they look like nubian-boer crosses mostly to me. It's possible they could have a little of something else(or a different percentage of boer) too, since it's possible their dams were say nubian-alpine or nubian-boer, or even spanish crosses of some kind... Just throwing some likely combinations out there. Either way, they are beautiful goats. :D
    I do think the middle one is boer-alpine, by the way. I've met a few of that type of cross that looked just like her...

14. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Comparing their heads to the bodies - they don't look very meaty or broad, but I suppose that could depend on exact age/what food they're getting. I'm leaning towards Nubian more than Boer for the solid brown and the blk/white, if they're well fed that is. The brown and white spotted, my first guess would be Boer, by the head, but sadly to say, I've never seen a fullblood Boer face to face. Now the Brown solid one AND blk/white, I already said maybe Nubian, and I'm also thinking Alpine, I can definetly seen some Alpine in there.

But thats just me.

15. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I visited the goats in person yesterday. They were all so sweet and funny. I get to take them home Friday! Can't wait!

Rosie will be happy too!

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats awesome, congrats! :clap:

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so glad that you all clicked. They look like absolute sweethearts! You will have to take lots of pictures when you get them home.

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Congratulations. They will be so much fun.