What kind of goat is this?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by roadgoat, Oct 16, 2010.

1. roadgoat

roadgoat New Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Hello--it's my first post here, but I was wondering if anyone could help me ID this breed of goat.

Yesterday, I saw a buck goat trotting along the road less than a mile from my house. Obviously, he'd gotten away from his home. I snapped a picture with my camera phone. Anyone know what type of goat this is? He was *big*!

[​IMG]

I called Animal Control to get him off the road--hopefully they got him home safe!

I have a small farm (11 acres) and would like to get a few goats in the spring, largely to help keep a few of the fields clear of brush. But I have two problems--one is fencing. The back edge of my land has a field that is about 2 acres, and it's sorta fenced on 3 sides--beat up woven wire fencing along one side, 3 strand electric along the back (there's a cattle farm back there, and it's his electric; I don't know that the juice is always on), and 5 strand barbed wire along the 3rd side. The 4th side is open to the rest of my property. So, I'd have to make sure the existent fencing is secure enough for goats and I'd have to fence the 4th side and build a shelter.

The other issue I have is my dogs--I breed German Shepherds and have 2 Jack Russells, and I'd want to make sure the goats would be safe from my dogs. (I've done herding with some of my German Shepherds, so I know how they react to sheep.) The prospect of trying to have secure fencing and to keep the goats predator--and dog--safe has made me hold off on goats for the last 3 years, but I keep thinking about it!

Christine

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

AWWWWW hes cute! love his coloring....He looks like a Nigerian Dwarf to me :)

3. roadgoat

roadgoat New Member

Oct 16, 2010
    I don't think he was a dwarf. He looked >200 pounds, though it's hard to say with that much coat. He was bigger than a Katahdin sheep, probably nearly 30 inches at the shoulder.

I'd have thought he was a sheep, but most of the time, his tail was straight up in the air.

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I've seen an Alpine that looked like that, but that is a HEFTY looking goat.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It is a little hard to tell. It is to far away. He looks like he was a nice looking boy.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    He looks like a giant nigerian dwarf. That guy there is thick! There's really no telling what exactly he is...definately could be a cross of some sort....what exactly...i'm not sure.

7. roadgoat

roadgoat New Member

Oct 16, 2010
    I thought I took several pics with my cam phone, but nope, just the one. :(

At any rate, I got the big version of the pic off the phone and cropped it so you can see more of the goat. He was terribly impressive. I was driving my truck, so I was sitting just a bit higher than him.

[​IMG]

Thanks again for the input. :)

Christine

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that color pattern is not seen in many breeds if at all besides the Nigerian Dwarf. Its called Buckskin.

He is probably a nigerian dwarf (very distinct ND head) or a mix of the Nigerian breed - maybe fainter?

The buck was obviously well taken care of and hadnt been "lost" long

The word "dwarf" makes you think tiny. But the Nigerian Dwarf breed though a miniature breed isnt a tiny tiny breed. The bucks can be 23 inches at the withers (shoulders) with some going over the showable height standard. Because he has horns I take that he isnt in a "show" home as ND goats can not be shown with horns.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He certainly has the look of a ND....And I can say that I have seen "bigger" than breed standard Nigies. I have a ND/Pygmy cross wether that is 28" at the withers...Teddy has a ND sire and a ND/Pygmy dam. By looking at the canon length, he's likely either a PB Nigi or a cross of nigi/pygmy.
    I agree,, Stacey...he hasn't been "lost" for too long, he looks as though he's been well cared for.

10. He looks like he could be a nigi / fainter cross. That would put the size on him! And he could still very much look like a nigi. Just my thoughts

11. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That coat pattern is also seen in the San Clemente goats. Usually the nose
    doesn't have as much black on it but they all have the same pattern and it goes from a pale
    cream to a darker brown. The more I look at I'm the more I see the San Clemente. He looks a lot
    Like the bucks I had here horns and everything. My guess is a San Clemente. If I were just going to own goats as pets that would be my first choice they are the hardiest goats I have even owned.

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I thought of a San Clemente too, but they are pretty rare. I don't see how a pure nigerian dwarf or fainter could be around 200 lbs and 30 inches tall. Even a cross I don't think would be that tall. San Clemente could be a possibility here.

13. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Where are you located? Might be a San Clemente Island Goat (used to have them) - if it is very nice looking buck! Here is a website that is trying to get all the breeders together http://www.scigoats.org/ - I know the lady of the website would be more than happy to hear from you and see if he is a San Clemente Island Goat and she might even know who owns him and if she does not I know she would like to know them lols!

14. Kylee,
    Fainters are that big! They can be up to 200+ lbs for a mature buck! Sunshine is bringing a big guy home this week, I'll send ya pics. They are pretty impresive! And at the fainter show we went to, I had the privelidge to hold for a gal a buck that was up past my waist! So they do get BIG!

15. roadgoat

roadgoat New Member

Oct 16, 2010
    I"m located in central Virginia, north of Charlottesville. I see there are some SCI breeders in Virginia, so I guess that could be what he is--I'm trying to find more pictures. The cross is also possible for sure. But he was definitely an intact male--does that make him more likely to be a specific breed?

I don't really know exactly how big he was--but he was a very good size (and much larger than my 26" tall dogs). Thanks for the ideas!