The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EB59DA8A-3E83-45CE-87AA-14943CDB8218.jpeg
Hey there! We are fostering another goat, and we aren't sure what kind of goat he is. Any ideas? He's super sweet and friendly, and comes running when he sees us. He grunted at me (like a pig) when he realized my fingers were not a tasty treat, and I've never heard a goat make a noise like that! He looks small from the angle of the picture, but he is about 3 feet tall or so. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A Boer buckling and looks to be a well bred one at that! Do you know how old the young fellow is? And you're quite sure he can't be mailed??!
I'm not sure how old he is. We were fostering a set of twins (not this breed), but the male went back to his house and this fellow came over instead. And no, he most certainly can not be mailed!! He's a sweetheart; hopefully we get to keep him for awhile!

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Nice looking boer...I'm in Texas too... so no mailing involved ;)
Actually I raise Nigerian Dwarfs, but he's soooo handsome! He can move in too...haha
Please read about having bucks around though in all seriousness! They're a species all to themselves and can be dangerous even though they are acting like they're your best buddy. We have a section especially for bucks in the breeding pen area.
Congratulations on your new foster goat!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Most definitely congratulations for getting him. Now to get a doe or two or three to make him feel really welcome. Lol

Reactions: healthyishappy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice looking boer...I'm in Texas too... so no mailing involved ;)
Actually I raise Nigerian Dwarfs, but he's soooo handsome! He can move in too...haha
Please read about having bucks around though in all seriousness! They're a species all to themselves and can be dangerous even though they are acting like they're your best buddy. We have a section especially for bucks in the breeding pen area.
Congratulations on your new foster goat!
I'll check out that information; thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5905BC92-B991-4058-88B7-C36A16040564.jpeg
Most definitely congratulations for getting him. Now to get a doe or two or three to make him feel really welcome. Lol
We have a foster female (from the same house), but she miscarried a few weeks ago and isn't the same type of goat (picture attached). Should we be concerned about keeping them separated for a while?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Yes, she may come back into heat. She looks at least part boer, and some say boers are year round breeders.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
He's super sweet and friendly, and comes running when he sees us.
In that case he is the kind of goat that is used to humans being nice and friendly! :) Hope you will never disappoint him! And do tell his previous humans, that his behaviour shows that they have treated him well! :) :) As for mailing him, I do not know what postage and customs will be, but for sure I would like him posted here:

https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/please-post-a-nice-picture.202091/

(Preferably pictures showing how he (and your other animals) interact with one another, and with people! Or just have fun, or a nice time!)

Having bucks is fun, and you will probably get all kinds of invitations from him, some of which you might not like so much. Remember that he usually only means well! But beware of getting under him, he is a bit of a load to get on top. That is also valid for the doe, she must be protected until she is well ready for a new pregnancy - and you are ready for an increase in number of your herd. Junipurr here on this forum sells aprons, that will protect your doe.

If he puts out his belly to one side, reaching down to that side with his nose, do not stand in front of him! The liquid he might share is not nice for your clothes, and may even irritate your skin! The spray can reach several meters forwards from such a big, strong, and healthy fellow. (And the apron will need a wash from time to time!)

But I think both goats seem to have some kind of deficiency, probably copper; do ask our knowledgeable members in here! And do share more photos, that show tails, faces, fur, hoofs, horns! This might help us help your goats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes she absolutely needs to be separate to heal her uterus before becoming pregnant again. She is also quite copper deficient. Do you have loose minerals available for them?
We have a mineral block out in the field from Tractor Supply. Is this okay, or do we need to buy the bag that's also available at TSC? The block says cattle, horses, and goats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If he puts out his belly to one side, reaching down to that side with his nose, do not stand in front of him!
Thanks for the warning! I'll definitely make sure I get out of the way if I see him standing like that, and I'll let my parents know as well.

We're planning to put a fence up to keep them separated for a while, but I'll talk with my parents about the apron instead. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why is he being fostered?
Maybe fostered isn't quite the right word? A family friend has several goats in his backyard. We had a bull until Easter, when we took him to the locker house for beef. Since then, my parents were having a hard time keeping the grass down, and the family friend decided he had too many goats in a small area, so the goats have sort of been loaned to us to help everyone. They aren't ours permanently, but they're here indefinitely. We had a set of twins first (male and female), but he kept getting himself into things he shouldn't, eventually escaping the fence, so he went home and the friend brought this guy (Bud) over to keep the little female (Honey) company. He's been here a few days already, but I was out of town until last night so I hadn't seen him yet. He's a sweetie, though!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Thanks for all your help!
It is a pleasure!

Bud and Honey, very nice names!

Hm, are you full grown yourself? If not, do look out, so Bud does not start "wooing" to you, you might tip over and get hurt. First sign is probably a blubbering sound together with a waving tongue, and / or a waving front hoof in your direction. These behaviours are very friendly, but such a big buck is not what you want on top of you!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
We have a mineral block out in the field from Tractor Supply. Is this okay, or do we need to buy the bag that's also available at TSC? The block says cattle, horses, and goats.
You need a loose mineral.
One of the good ones at tsc is "Purina wind and rain" it is a cattle mineral but works for goats.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Oh, I understand the "fostering" better now. What a good arrangement. I will join the list of people wishing you to send the buckling to. If you need a new home for him, I'll force myself...

The block you have is good for salt. You do need loose minerals, for both goats.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts