What kind of goat?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Oct 31, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    What kind of goat do you think my herd queen is? I was told she is probably a dairy mix, but I'd love to hear what you all think, I have always been curious.

[​IMG]

Yeah she's a poser LOL
    [​IMG]

Here's her twins that were born in July, their sire is a 100% codi boer buck.

Summer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My son holding Summer,
    [​IMG]

Little Man or Bandit as I sometimes call him <We aren't keeping him>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas? I love these babies so much, they are sweet as can be. But we need to find Little Man a new home, possibly whether him and he could be a pet or companion. If we keep him he'd be a meat goat. But not sure what breed he could be mixed with. Summer is a 50%er once I send the paperwork in, and we'll keep her.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    She probably has some nubian in there, maybe some sanaan. Possibly a tad of boer. She is cute.

The babies are adorable...you can defintately see that boer in there from dad. If you are wanting to castrate the boy you'll need to do that soon since he's getting big. Any more time and it might be to late to wether him.

3. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I personally see Kiko... but ha... could be my mind saying "KIKO! OMG HUG IT!"

If I lived near you, I would want Bandit :)

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks! He's such a sweetie! And Funny that's the same thing I am thinking is Kiko! She just doesn't seem to have an udder that a Dairy goat would have? She had just enough milk for her twins, and I didn't think her udder was any bigger than our boer does udder.

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I love kiko's! I love to see them at the auctions. They are the goats that cause bidding wars. :laugh:

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    my bet would be she is a boer cross dairy (alpine or possibly saanen). I'd say she's 50% boer or possibly even up to 75%. I've had 2nd cross does (75%) that look just like her, they can throw back to the light head. She shows a lot of boer characteristics in her body type and maturity pattern, and in her horn set and type. But she does show some dairy characteristics through the head and ears and has passed that onto her kids. When I say dairy I'm meaning the swiss breeds, not nubians. I don't see nubian in her unless the nubian itself was a grade.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    agree with keren that she isnt a nubian mix.

She certainly is part boer and maybe some dairy breed in her but Kiko is also possible due to her ear set. The Kiko breed was developed through dairy breeds

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much. We have a lot of interest in her buckling when I put an ad up for him. So we're hopefull he will end up in a good home. The woman I bought her from mentioned kiko, but she wasn't 100% positive. I did post pics in my ad so obviously people liked what they saw. He's such a sweetie, he greets us at the gate, and wants all the love you can give. He was kinda small the first couple of months, but he has really taken off and is starting to get tall.

9. BoerKikoLady

BoerKikoLady New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    PA
    I say Kiko. Horns say Kiko or Spanish. Dairy horns tend to go straighter back and boer tend to round before going out. I have one marked simalar to the white with mix color cape kid and she is Kiko with a bit of Pygmy plus 50% Boer

Attached Files:

10. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Her face picture reminds me of Sunny, who's 50/50 kiko/boer (he took more of the kiko side, but you can see some boer in him).

Here's Speckles, my 100% Kiko
    [​IMG]

And here's Sunny (the white one).
    [​IMG]

They are both about 10 months old now. But only 6 months old in the pictures.

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i say alpine or saanen mix. her kids show alpine or sable tendencies as does she

12. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I think she is a boer/Kiko mix but thats just me. I remember a picture you had of her nursing her kids when they were younger she was next to a car bumper and she didn't look tall enough to be mixed with a Saanan or Alpine so thats why I am thinking the Kiko/boer cross

13. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much everyone. I am sad looking at the pics I posted because we sold her buckling a few weeks ago, and I still miss the little man...he was soo sweet. Now Summer is super clingy, and cries for me if she sees me or hears my voice. She's my lil sweets :)

Roger is right on her size, she is not very tall, she is the same size as the other does, with the exception of my red does who are longer and wider than her <they are mostly boer %>.

We think she could be pregnant again already. I was hoping to breed her this month, but her last heat cycle was in mid Sept. I thought I had gotten her away from the buck in time... but then they are like a married couple, always together. Still I haven't seen any signs of heat.
    It'll be interesting to see what she has next time around.