What kind of goats do you have & What do you use them for?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by fcnubian, Oct 27, 2008.

1. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Kinda long title but anyways it'll be interesting to read the posts.

What breed(s) of goats do you have? And what do you use them for? (Pets? Dairy? Meat? Show? Ect ect)

I have Nubians and Pygmys. My pygmys are just pets. My nubians are for milking and showing.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Pygmy/Nigi crosses and Nigi's......my girls make the absolute best milk...and the babies are super sweet pets, though I am praying I get really nice nigi kids in March to be able to sell as possible show projects for 4H....Or to add a new milker to someone elses herd. My goaties are my pets first...the milk and kids are a "plus".

3. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I have Mini-Nubians and they are used for milk and some are just pets.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We raise registered Nigerian Dwarf goats for pets, milk, showing (next year) and just for fun, they are awesome little goaties!! :D

We also have three Pygmy does that we breed once a year (this might be the last year though). Our pygmies are registered with NPGA but are not what most people consider "show quality" - they look nice enough and are structurally correct but I also won't let them get as fat as they are looking for now.

We also milk our Pygmy girls. Daisy makes the best tasting milk! :)

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Milk, show, and most importantly good pets!

Oh and I have Nigerians and one LaMancha

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have Nubians and Boers, the Nubians are for milk and show, and the Boers are Fullbloods for show and breeding stock, and the extra wethers for meat.

7. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    I have an Alpine mix, who is my future milker, an ND who was bought to be companion to the Alpine (but is super sweet and loving). Both of these girls are also pets.

Recently we aquired a buck, purely by accident. We were borrowing him to breed the Alpine mix too. He's La Mancha/Alpine/Sanaan (and I'm wicked excited about him- comes from great milking lines. Mom is regis La Mancha). He was only supposed to be here for a month, and I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with him yet. I'd love to find him a home, realistically not sure that'll happen. Otherwise, he'll either be a wether (and dehorned) and stay, or head off to become a pretty white package of meat. He's sweet though, so I hope it doesn't come to that.

Meghan

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We have nigerian dwarfs and pygmies...

Nigerians are for milking, showing, breeding, pets. The pygmies are for pets, breeding, and we show at the local fair. We raise both breeds and have a blast with them!

9. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    we have reg boers for show, meat and broodstock- basically all of them are pets though!

10. Martha Moo

Martha Moo New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Kinder goats for milk. Currently we have a herd of five, two in milk, two bred and one kid being raised up. We sell three gallons a week and use the rest our selves. The operation is run by Emily who is 14 years old. She does all the milking, feeding, customers service, jar washing and planning. We have about 10 years off and on of goat raising experience. We just discovered "the goat spot" and are really enjoying all the great information. We are also bee keepers. I learned about bee keeping on a similar forum for bee keepers. It's a thrill to know that there are other goat crazy people out there. We were beginning to think that "goat butt watching" was a disability and now we discover that it's a favorite past time of goat breeders world wide.
    Great to meet you all!!
    Shelley and Emily

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    10 boers for show and breeding /meat, 2 cashmere wethers (for fun), 2 nigerian does, 1 nubian doe, and 3 dairy meat wethers.

12. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I have registered Boer goats, both Fullbloods and Percentages. The does and bucks are for show and breedstock. The wethers go for 4-h projects or meat.

13. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I think we're all a little "goat crazy" here! Glad you joined our group!

14. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    My mom and I raise Nubians and Nubian/Apline mixes. We currently raise for milk and yogurt which we sell, but we are purchasing more Nubians for showing, and I plan to make soaps to sell.

15. FancyAppy

FancyAppy New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    We have Pygmy pets. Our goats are strictly beloved pets and spoiled rotten. We have one registered and several unregistered Pygmy "types". All add so much enjoyment to our lives.
    We have so much fun with these wonderful creatures!

16. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    I've got Munchies and the "token nubian" (she's just an eared Munchie...and a blonde one too)

And we use them for... Lawn Ornament, Yard Boss --- :) Well, they use us for care takers...

Still going back and forth on getting a ND buck - I miss my Bliss and Desi something awful...

We use the milk for the pigs and for soaps/lotions/etc, and some of the people here use it for cheese/drinking/cooking --- I use it to feed the pigs, LOL.

Working on getting the girls ready for LA, Milk Test and Show and the boys ready for LA and shows.

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Angoras for their fibre - I sell raw fleece direct to handspinners. I'd love to learn to spin myself and one day I will but at the moment no time! Also for breeding stock (sold domestically) and some meat from excess wethers. Also I tan the skins from the wethers I slaughter at 2 years and sell as rugs.

Boers for their meat - I supply wethers for the domestic and export meat markets - as well as breeding stock for domestic and export.

British Alpine - milk for my house and also for poddy lambs/kids/calves. Also make yoghurt, icecream and custard. Also as nurse animals for poddies.

I do tend to milk my angoras and boers occasionally for the above reasons :oops:

Other reasons are pets (mine but also I sell some as pets) and companions, working goats (harness) and pasture improvement/weed control.

My BA doe is also certified as a therapy pet to visit nursing homes, schools, hospitals etc.

18. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Nubians for milk and meat with the goal of eventually having a dairy shop right here on the farm where I will also sell goat meat, eggs, cheese, organically grown herbs and some fruits, along with goat milk soap, etc.

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have all my Cashmere for the fiber, and because they are just WONDERFUl pets. Plus we are leasing them iut for Noxious weed control.

I sell my fiber to hand spinners and I have a waiting list for it. (I never thought I would have that trouble, boy is it a nice problem to have) :leap:

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Somehow I missed this thread, sorry.

Well here is what I have -

Registered Nigis (8 does , 3 soon to be 4 bucks)
    Unregistered Nigis (2 does)
    Pygmy (1 doe, 2 wethers)
    Alpine X (1 doe)
    Nubians (2 does, 1 buck)
    Boer X (2 does)
    Boer (1 buck)

What do i do with them - some i milk and trade the milk for farm fresh eggs and make soap, icecream, and hopefully cheese here soon.

I sell alot of the kids to offset cost of feed for the goats, sheep, and horses.

Boer X are mostly for meat.

And of course - they are just so darn cute that they are pets also!