What kind of treats do you make your goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dvfreelancer, Sep 11, 2009.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    We all know you do it, so you might as well confess.

Even though ours are brush goats, I'll make them cookies and corn bread once in a while. And there is frequently good treat material on the day old bread rack.

Their favorite are sugar cookies. Just little bites, not a whole cookie. I don't think too much sugar is good for them and I don't want to upset their rumen balance. But they'll do tricks, even for a little bite. They stand with their mouths open, like baby birds. It's pretty funny. The smaller ones have figured out if they get up on their back legs, they have an edge.

Cornbread is another team favorite. Again, not too much. Their job is cleaning up weeds and vines, not composting stale cornbread. But they sure do like it.

Some other things they like:

The chip crumbs in the bottom of a bag (but not the spicy kind)
    Marshmallows
    Carrots

And the last time they got into the garden they cleaned out the Lemon Basil, so I guess you can add that to the list.

2. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    lush grass and tree branches!!!!! :)

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Goldfish crackers. :oops:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    banana peels, apples. :thumb:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Im lazy -- I just buy horse treats (the small variety)

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine will share what I have.....they LOVE jelly toast!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Apples, licerace pellets, Ukalyptus(sp) leaves.... :greengrin:

8. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I would have never thought about apples, but there are some old ones in the frig. Guess it makes sense when you think about it. Horses love apples. Although you want to quarter them before giving one to a horse.

Edit: Just went out with a cut up apple and it was definitely a hit. A couple of the younger ones would chew it with kind of puzzled look. The look that says this is not a cookie.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Raisen bread is a favorite. Cooked pasta, corn husk is a big hit, they love that. apples carrots. I once had a doe who loved sour patch kids. had anothe doe, Cally who would eat anything i was eating. She once had a bit of turkey sandwhich.
    beth

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Just wanted to add that goats will eat just about anything you would....I LOVE BLACK LICORICE and so do my goats....as well as anything else I may have....Angel likes freeze pops too! They all love jelly beans....but not the green ones :? Oranges, peel and all are a favorite of my boys. Bananas, peel as well are good too.

Any snack or treat should be in moderation, especially the candy, and do wash any fruit or veggie free of pesticides before you try them with your goats.

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It was great this year at the state fair. A little boy was walking around the goat pens eating a Peanut butter and grape jelly sand, (Sophie's favorite). Well he had it a little low and close to her so she finished it for him. :ROFL:

12. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    their favorites are ritz crackers followed closely by saltine crackers. but they alsso like pears and cucumbers.

13. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    originally posted by liz:

This is taken from the Spring issue of Dwarf Digest...a quarterly magazine printed by the NDGA.

Microwave Goat Cookies

2 cups flour
    5 cups oatmeal
    1/2 cup corn oil
    1 clove garlic ( or 1 Tablespoon minced)OR 1/2 Tbs Garlic powder
    1 cup diced carrots

Combine ingredients in a bowl, form into small balls and flatten out onto a microwave safe plate, bake each "batch" on high for 6 minutes.
    I haven't tried this one yet but I think adding some raisins or a bit of honey or mollasses would make them even more tasty.