What kind of wormer for a nursing goat?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Jan 16, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Hi, all its me again, what kind of wormer can you give to a momma goat nursing her babies? I dont want to give her the wrong thing and hurt the babies. Also what livestock suppliers online takes paypal, if you anyone know I would totally appreciate it. Thanks

2. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Ivermectin is safe for pregnant and nursing does and babies.

I don't know about Paypal. My family doesn't use it because they are very anti-2nd Amendment.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Jeffers Livestock takes paypal...

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Safeguard and Ivermectin are ones I know are safe for nursing does -- though I am sure they are others.

Yes Jeffers takes paypal

5. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    So does that mean that ivomec plus would work. Im sorry if I sound crazy just want to do whats best. Thanks

6. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Isn't Ivomec Plus just for liver flukes in addition to all the other worms? If you don't suspect flukes, do you need Plus? And would you have to inject Ivomec plus?

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    Ivomec plus is used when you suspect liver flukes. It is given orally like regular Ivomec. The only time I've heard it best to inject any type of Ivomec is when you're dealing with deerworm.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yah I give the Plus orally as well.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I give the plus at a rate of 1cc per 50 pounds orally to everyone. Although I do wait until they are past 30 days gestation.

I do know that IVOMEC does have a milk withdrawl time - are you drinking the milk???

10. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Thanks for the goat info in Ivomec Plus. It has to be injected when used on cattle. And there is a slaughter withdrawal so there is probably a milk withdrawal time as well.

11. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    No Im not drinking the milk just the babies would be. Will this hurt them cause thats the wormer I just went and bought. And we all know how expensive these wormers are. I would hate to think I bought something I cant use. Thanks

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nope...won't hurt the kids at all...if anything they'll have added benefit of it.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no it wont hurt them, they will jsut get a small dose of it through nursing and like Liz said that can help

14. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it. I wormed her with it, but she had been coughing some when she ran and things so I was worried about lungworms. So thanks again, just a new goat person worrying about those babies dont want to hurt them in any way.

15. lelu62ar

lelu62ar New Member

Mar 7, 2013
    please help

is safe guard safe to use on lactating goats please

16. David_c

David_c New Member

May 9, 2017
    What about zimecterin gold, can it be used as well?

17. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    It's similar to Equimax (Equimax is stronger) and we've never had issues using Equimax or even Quest Plus on nursing does. Equimax has 2x more prazequantel. I prefer Equimax because it has a stronger dose of Ivermectin in it 1.87% whereas Zimecterin has around 1.55%. We give 2-3x a horse dose of Equimax (100lb. goat gets 200-300lbs. of the dewormer).