What made you goat crazy???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by heathersboers, Sep 7, 2008.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I was just curious at how everyone got into goats. We purchased 5 pygmy cross for pets, and got hooked when we saw the kids, and had to have more- It is a fast growing addiction, and I just didn't feel satisfied with so few. Needless to say 40 goats later,all due NOV and DEC. I've kinda run out of room :boy: :girl: :baby: :boy: :girl: :baby: etc., etc. etc.

2. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Well, it started in Disney World for me... I saw some ducklings swimming around and decided I wanted ducks lol. Then I got home and started researching them, and my interest kind of morphed into goats after a few weeks. So I researched them for about 4 months, then convinced my parents I wanted them, which took another few months, then I found a Nigerian Dwarf breeder about 1.5 hours from me. I got in contact with her, asking about wethers, since I wanted pets. We emailed a bit, then a few days later she sent me two pictures of her newborn bucklings, just hours after they were born... I fell in love, and the rest is history :greengrin:. I made the pen with my dad, which took a while to plan then build. Then my babies came home when they were three months and so tiny! I fell in love again haha. Almost a year later I added my Alpine wether, and now my herd is complete.

3. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    We moved from the suburbs of Chicago to Iowa 3 years ago. I had it in my head that I wanted a mini farm with goats. I knew next to nothing about them but I learned quick. We now have 5 goats and love them all dearly!!

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Almost four years ago, I was having some problems w/ stuff and my mom suggested we go and meet someone. Well, she took me to a breeder of pygmy goats on the Oregon Coast. My mom had actually been wanting to buy a couple pygmies for 11 years but did not think we were ready for that kind of responsibility. . . . Anywho, I had just turned 16. We looked at all the babies and none really "stood out" to me, so I just decided on a cute caramel wether. . . . then Linda said she did have one more doeling in the back, a bottle-fed brown agouti, we went on back there and out comes Rosie flagging her tail thinking she was going to get more bottle! I instantly fell in love and had to have her! A week later, we brought her half-sister, Daisy home w/ us too. These two will be with us forever! We are now raising reg. Nigerian Dwarf goats w/ a herd of 16, but these girls are staying, they're our precious girls! :) That's how we got hooked on goats.

I just got a new computer so all my pics aren't on here, but here is the link to our pygmy website: http://www.wbacres.webs.com/ Rosie, Daisy, and Fudgie are the last of our pygmies, they are treasured. :)

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    When I was younger I ALWAYS wanted to have a min farm. I would always watch barnyard movies, like Charlotte's Web and stuff like that. I think just seeing all those adorable animals together made me want to have a little farm when I was like 8.

Well, there's more to the story, but to make it short. I ended up at age 13/14 with my very own horse trainer who always persueded me to get new animals. Well, as I recall,,,it was him who recommended getting pygmy goat kids. So I found and ad in the paper and my mom and I went to go look at the CUTEST little pygmies in the world. I bought 2 doelings. I did soooo much research on them to make sure I started out right. Then my horse trainer got a couple nigerian dwarfs which were so darling I bought also. Then I had to have a buck so we could have some little babies. I had the most fun with those little goats! And my first babies...oh my gosh...the cutest things in the whole world!

That's where it started...I am now up to a huge herd of nigerian dwarfs and pygmies! I'm so greatful for all of them and it's funny thinking back to when I didn't know anything about them to now where I have so much knowledge it's not even funny. I'm a complete Goataholic!!!

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My mom always had goats, when I was a baby she had Alpine and Togg does for milk and when I was 3 years old we had to move to town when my brother was born prmature and very sick...we went without the ridge life and goats for almost 6 years while we hoped and prayed the town life made my brother stronger ...we moved to the farm I grew up on when he passed away weeks before his 5th birthday......got a Togg doeling and a Saanen buckling that following spring after the move and it grew from there and added an Alpine doe and a Nubian doe then the babies started to arrive as well as the milk, I learned after that and I truly believed that along with caring for my sister and I those goats were my mom's "saviour" after the loss of my brother. As I grew up, those "BIG" goats were the cause of a broken foot, numerous "fall down and drag" across the yard as well as the general "heft" of them that when hubby and I were finally able to afford our first home we went for this one...property and the means to start our own little herd of milkers and pets....The minis are so much easier to "control" than the monsters my mom had :ROFL: And the fact that I saw first hand those goaties have a way of helping to heal an aching heart , mine have been my solace during many troubling times for me...I do think that I after I got my first mini...Bootsie, I really knew I wanted to breed for kids as well as milk and now I honestly don't know what I would be doing if I didn't have those sweet faces and loving eyes greeting me each and every day. :love: Each one I have ...the 6 girls and 3 boys have such different personalities and quirks that I love each and every one of them and can't wait til I get off work to sit and have Angel or Heidi climb in my lap or have Chief rub his bucky head on my leg or even have rotten little Teddy flap his tongue at me....they are such good stress relievers :love:

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    When I was little we had dairy goats but sold out. Then when I was 8 I decided I wanted pygmy goats.I bought 2 and the next day had 3! :greengrin: Then 3 three years later I got my first boer goat and now I have a buck ,a weather, and 4 does.

8. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    We were talking about getting Boer goats or something to clean out all of our woods (I think that is how it started). I used to have a Nubian goat but she was a crazy one that we got rid of (my guess is she just was lonely) so I decided that I wanted Pygmy goats because they were smaller and they might be good pets. So I convinced my parents and by that night we were calling people and searching for Pygmy goats. We found a lady and picked out Rosie and Ruby. They were so cute! They were my birthday present. Ruby ended up dying so then I got Izzie in replacement. Then I got Coco the Pygmy for my birthday. Later I found a love for Nubian goats again. I got Splash. Then I decided Pygmy goats were brats because they always picked on Splash and Izzie would bang her hard with her horns. I soon met another goat lady who had Nubians (Carolyn) and I got Shadow for my birthday. The pygmys were so mean to Shadow so I gave both Coco and Izzie to Carolyn. Coco ended up having two kids. Then (surprisingly it has been a month already) Shadow passed away. I got Spicy from Carolyn.
    Sorry it is so long. Now I just adore goats!!! They are great pets. :) Here are pictures of all of the goats that I have had:
    Rosie:
    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261 ... ts3833.jpg
    Izzie:
    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261 ... ats315.jpg
    Coco and one of her kids:
    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261 ... lyn260.jpg
    Splash:
    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261 ... ts4355.jpg
    Shadow:
    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261 ... ts3853.jpg
    Spicy:
    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261 ... ts4381.jpg

9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    For me it started out with my boyfriend (now ex) getting a boer goat wether to show, I loved that wether and it just gave me the idea that I wanted one. I already had two breeding sheep at the time so I decided that I wanted a dairy goat instead for any orphans. I found GoatWeb and started asking about breeds and what I would need. I decided on Nubians because I LOVED the ears. So I then asked if anyone had some for sale that was close to me and Candace emailed me about a little unregistered doeling she had that was an oops breeding. Sent me some pictures and I was in love. That's how I got Lyric, then my lamb that was Lyric's companion died so I needed to find a companion (the adult sheep were mean to her) so I looked around and found Bethany who had some unregistered doelings and bought Heidi. Then I decided that I better focus on one species and had to choose between my goats and sheep. I ended up liking the goats just a little bit more than the sheep so I decided to sell them and bought Lyrae and was so excited that she was pregnant. Then Orion was born and of course fell in love all over again. And the latest addition is Chase. They have also helped me out through some hard times, but it's also hard to have them because I can't go anywhere without paying someone to take care of them.

10. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I was thinking about getting a goat for a while, since I love livestock, and needed critters that would "serve a purpose" so hubby couldn't complain too much! When I saw an ad for some miniatures, including a bred doe in milk for an awesome price, I couldn't resist!

Wild little things they were, but after lots of trail and error, milking turned out to be pleasent and the milk was great! Took the family a tiny bit to get used to it, but not too long! Personally I couldn't tell the difference.

What REALLY hooked me is the wether, Uno, who is now my bestest buddy in the whole world. When he first came here, we could NOT touch him, period. He was FAR more wild than Hope the doe, who I could at least catch with a little patience and clever planning.

Now not only are they both tame as puppies, Uno is a total suck-up for loving. It's not treats he wants from me, but a good scratch and rub down. He even gives "kisses", where he touches my face with his chin, signaling the desire to be petted. I've discovered his favorite places, and I absolutely adore him.

And waiting for babies is very exciting!! Less than a month at most to go! :clap:

11. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Great stories y'all!!!! I told you that it was addictive :love:

12. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    Hum… well I wanted a farm and cows cost too much. I inherited some goats when my step father died many years ago and have basically been hooked since. I got some Pygmies in 1999 and I thought the milk was so awesome, I decided that the small size and smaller milk output was perfect for me. I chose to get the ND’s because they are bred for dairy more so than the pygmies… so here I am, finally, two small goats later. :wahoo:

13. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    I like goat meat and I prefer my own home grown.

14. artsy_farmgirl

artsy_farmgirl Goat Fancier

Feb 29, 2008
    Florida
    When I was a kid I was lucky enough to live on a small farm. While my mom focused mainly on various poultry, she did get a few lambs one year and we also had a pair of nubian goats for a while. I really liked the goats, but unfortunately the doeling died so the buckling had to go to another farm where he would be of good use. Still, they were fun and made a big impression on me, so later when I was a teenager a friend I made had goats and I fell in love with them all over again. I still love nubians, but also really like oberhaslis, cashmeres, and angoras. Truthfully, I love any goats though, and find crossbred ones very interesting, but I do play favorites a little bit.. ;) Neat to see how everyone else got interested on here. :D

15. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    ok - here's my story - it sort of has 3 parts

1) i love animals and was really interested in alpacas - but toooooo much $$$$$ and i was interested in the fiber part...
    2) i 'ran dogs' as we say up here, for years and am just getting out of it - dogmushers seems to share the addictive traits that goatherders have - you know, just ONE more...only with dogs, it might have been cheaper to be a heroin junkie...so believe it or not goats are cheaper (to buy and feed but of course i wanted a kind of goat that was hard to find in alaska so i shipped some up but that's a whole nother story)!
    3) my best friend and soul mate ever was a dog - and when she died and I was looking for another, I found that the traits and qualities of Maremmas exactly described my old dog - so I wanted one but...needed stock for her...

so then i read about cashmere goats somewhere, and they were more reasonable than alpacas and i could have a maremma and they would give me animals since i was getting out of dogs...so you see where this is going!

the best part is that the more i found out about goats the more i got into them and like them and well, here i am! :stars:

16. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    My goat addiction started about 2 years ago. I had moved up to my DH's family farm in MN almost 5 years ago........ thought the whole horse farm theory was just awesome.... right up until I got my *** kicked, bit, bucked off, trampled on, etc....regularly despite my attempts to assert my "dominance in the herd"... that's when I started thinking I'd really like to have a critter that I could handle on my own..... and NOT feel in iminant danger. :GAAH:

Now mind you I come from generation farmers where every critter has to have a purpose and pull it's own weight/pay for itself.......

Less than a week after I started thinking about getting my own animals of some kind, there was an article in a local newspaper about Pygora goats. fiber goats. We have several local spinning clubs that would be an easy market for the fiber....... but research showed they are a bit expensive..... how to pay for them? 2 days after that thought , I found myself with a small inheritance....... enough to pay for 4 goats and shipping from California to MN........... I've been totally addicted since their arrival. My goaties are my stress busters..... companions,...... mood elevators........ exercise instructors....... continuing education instigators.... I've got 5 more arriving in the next 2 weeks........... I cannot imagine what I ever did with myself before I had goats & wouldn't want to go back to that way of life again.......

and I still need to learn how to spin, knit and whatever else, but who cares? I have so much fun just playing and taking care of my kids..........

And on occasion, if the two legged variety of kids get lucky, they'll get a bit of attention too :D

17. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    lol I got really into goats a few weeks ago but i have loved them for ages.
    My best friend jess lives abot 40mins away and has some property... they bought a big goat called snowy and hes kinda evil but i love him to bits...and they recently got another goat called mixer xD

And I went horse riding and then got a crazy idea that i wanted lots of minis goats in my backyard

Though I cant keep them but i might move soon so i am sitting around waiting for action lol

:GAAH: I wish Money wasnt so tight

18. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I know how that money thing works- the way the economy is -I cant keep up with my bills- thats why I am selling some of my goats-

19. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I was one of those horse crazy kids and we had a safe family horse, but I wanted one of my own, my parents not being horse people got me the most unsuitable (for a 7 year old) horse they could find. It became almost dangerous to even go into the pasture w/ him. My dad wanted goats and talked me into letting him sell the horse and buying goats instead. We started w/ some nubians and later an alpine, then pygmies (and one mystery goat), then mixes of those breeds, they were all just pets. We ended up selling out, keeping only two, Jake a nubian wether (one of the originals) and Baby, a nubian/alpine/pygmy doe we'd raised on a bottle. After Jake died, Baby was lonely and we gave her away (big mistake).

So I was goatless for several years, but then got a wild hair and desided I wanted another baby! I reasoned that I needed it as a companion for my bottle raised heifer they was afraid of the other cows, but really I just wanted one! Figured I could find a nubian bottle baby, usually see them for sale every spring, but guess I got going alittle late that year and couldn't find any. The next year I searched and searched and finally found an ad for 4 nubian bucklings, I called and they had one left, but it was possibly sold (they were supposed to let him know by the end of the weekend), on Sunday I talked them into letting me go ahead and come see him, on my way he talked to the other people who said to let me have him! He was the prettiest baby I'd ever seen, and I was in love! And for $15 he was mine!
    [​IMG]

I probably would have been happy w/ the one, but apparently I inspired my bil to get some goats (w/out any research or thought about what he'd do w/ them), so I ended up w/ two little doelings he'd bought. Of course that means I need a buck so I can have babies (I'd already wethered Merlin). I wanted a Nubian but couldn't find one, thought about a boer, but again couldn't find one, and finally found a LaMancha buckling, wasn't sure about the no ears, but desided to go for it anyway. I then ended up w/ two more does, one was a stray that showed up at my brother's house, the other was rescued by my bil from someone that was threatening to eat it. So in my first year I ended up w/ 6 goats, and only actually bought two of them!

It's grown from there, I am now raising Nigerian Dwarfs, but still have my big "pets"!

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I started out with 4-H, and I wanted an animal to show, we dont have the acreage for cows for horses. But We already had chickens, pigs, and thought goats would make a nice addition. I started out with a ND wether, and a Nubian Doeling, but they had the worst personalities and ruined anything when they escaped their pens. So i started with the boers. I love them. So now im into showing with 4-h and the state fair. Also breeding for meat, breeding.