What makes a buck?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by babe817, Apr 8, 2008.

1. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Hi, Im new here.. I own fullblood registered Boer goats. and one cashmere whe have owned from the start. I was wondering what you look for in a buck?
    Thanks. :wave:
  2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all, I do not know if I ever Welcomed you here :wave: :wave: . Welcome aboard, and we are glad that you are here.

First of all, for me when I decide what boys to keep as a buck is, I look at the family lines and I look that goat over and i try to see it they will have the characteristics that I am wanting in my herd. I might want something different then someone else.
    As for a boar goat, I would look for a baby that is rather stocky, good solid legs, and a nice chest on them. How do they look just standing. Are they solid all around, do they have straight legs. I know it is a lot when you want a good herd Sire. I do the same things for my girls, when I try to figure out who I will sell and who I will keep.

Now for my Cashmere, I do all the same thing, but then you have to look at the parents and think about the Fiber they hopefully will produce.
    If mom has lets say great style but no the best length, but the dad has really nice long fiber then I look and consider that.
    Now try very hard not to decide right off the bat, you have to give the boy some time to grow up so you can really see them. That is one reason I wait until 10-12 weeks to band.

3. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    One of our milk goats gave birth to :boy: :boy: :boy: :hair: They are adorable as baby goats should be. These boys are not papered. We have a lot of papered studs in this area so boys that are not papered are not stud material. This means that they are wethered and have to be sold for pets or meat. Luckily I have someone buying two of them for pets and I'm working on my husband to keep the third one as a pet. We do have a papered Alpine doe that we mated with the papered Alpine buck. If she has a boy it would be worth keeping as a stud. If I keep a buck for stud I look at the temperment of both parents. I would think that fiber goats would be more difficult to deside because you wouldn't know how good the fiber is until later. Let us know what you deside. Suellen
  4. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I really don't know much about Cashmeres, but I would imagine with all goats...you want them to be structurely sound. Which means good feet and legs, wide chest, nicely attached udder that does not hang past the hocks, length of body, a level topline, and nice cashmere. Same for your Boers, except the cashmere part. :) Also you want your Boers to have nice muscling throughout. And Boer should have no more than two teats per side.

With my dairy goats...if the bucklings are grades they are castrated. Most registered bucklings are castrated if the dam and/or sire is not proven. Proven for the doe means that she does well in the show ring, in the milk pail, and producing the same or better quality offspring than herself. For bucks it is the evaluation of his milking daughters.
  5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK, I'm just going to say it...for folks like us (novice breeders, not much goat experience), we should just wether all our bucklings. There is a "chance" you could sell a buckling to another novice breeder...but are we really "improving the breed"? Probably not. You know if we have to ask what makes a good buck...we should probably just not think that the next "Grand Champion" will come from our "starter" herds. Unless you are purchasing girls whose dams and sires are "Grand Champions". So, that's my 2 cents worth...

However, a big WELCOME, you will find these folks very knowledgeable and helpful with most problems we encounter. I love this website!
  6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Welcome to Goatspot!

First and foremost the breed dictates a lot. I raise a dairy breed so naturally the dam's udder is the first and most important thing as to whether or not I will allow a buckling to be a buck. Its as simple as that. If the doe has a poor udder then there's no chance a buckling will make it to stud-life. Doesn't matter what he looks like.

I have heard it said many times and feel it is very true. I would rather have the ugliest buck on earth who gives me absolutely stunning, correct, dairy daughters with superbly attached udders than a champion buck who has bad or inconcistant daughters.

A champion buck is just a pretty buck who's correctly built. A buck proves himself in his offspring and daughters. So the best way to produce a buck from your farm who has the best potential to produce great daughters is to start with great stock and only allow your best stock to produce bucks.
  7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    with boers, you want them to be long a muscular but not fat. I like the wide goats..meaning wide hips and shoulders. no overbites, no blue eyes, good straight legs....good disposition.
  8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Everyone has made very good points on how to know when a boy should be a buck.....BTW...WELCOME to our little "habit"....so to speak...I can't tear myself away at times..lol :lol: . When I decided to keep my first buck...this year actually, I fellfor his color as soon as he was born, His dad is a reg. nigerian dwarf and mom is a pygmy/dwarf cross...as he got older I was very pleased by the way he looked, straight legs, wide chest and level topline, his stance when he chooses to pose is almost graceful, and the fact that he has a loving yet playful personality, his mom has a decent udder though looking a bit "used" after 6 freshenings. He also has his sires "high" escutcheon, which will play a role in the udders of any doelings he may sire. Again Welcome...we are always available to answer any questions you may have or just want to "talk" goat!
  9. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Hi, Thanks for all of your replys. i do agree with you all. In my herd i do have great bloodlines..All my boers are full blood with papers. I have a boer buck atm.. so i wont be keeping any bucks..
    i wanted to see everyones points are and to see what they look for in a buck. It just always helps to know a little extra info.. and to talk to others that breed.

10. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    To Alyssa... or anyone else if they know... Why no blue eyes? I see a lot of people trying to breed blue eyed in fainters. Could you explain. Thanks!!