The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our female fainter's stomach has been getting big. I thought it was because she was pregnant and going to have multiples. But today she was laying down and wouldn't get up, when I went to check on her, I felt her stomach and it's hard. If she is pregnant she isn't due until the beginning of March. I did get her up and walking a little bit. But something isn't right with her.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I would guess she's bloated. If she is, you might want to give her some type of oil, like olive oil, to start popping the bubbles inside her. Also, some baking soda if she will take it. Walk her around, rub her side and tummy. Don't feed her any grains today. Just hay...and pasture should be fine, too. Others here have some other treatments, but I'll only share what I've used and what has worked for our goats.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
I agree, get that baking soda down here. Put some in your hand and add a little water and make a ball out of it. Shove it down her throat and hold her mouth shut, you will get a lot of it on you so be ready. I would do several of them, then walk her and walk he long. You have to get the bubbles out.

I always have what is called a Bloat block in the pen, they will eat it when they need to.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
it really depends. I had a Buck get into the grain and I walked him all night long from about 9:30 PM until 5:00 AM and then the hubby took over. We did it until he was not as bloated, but he was bad.

·
Administrator
85,727 Posts
Give 2 GasX along with things mentioned.

Put the goats front legs up on 12 inch high pallet ect, and massage and knead the left side, also massage the mid neck section from under the chin, down to the chest, walk the goat and repeat several times, get those belches out and gas.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
They can get bloated from eating too much, eating wet grass, things like that. Just monitor feeding, feed new things in moderation. And always have vegetable oil and baking soda on hand! I believe a little warm soapy water could help too

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
If she is, you might want to give her some type of oil, like olive oil, to start popping the bubbles inside her.
Oil will not reduce surface tension or allow the bubbles to break easier. You need soap, detergent, some kind of anti-bloat medication or a gas relieving product such as simethecone to do that.

http://kinne.net/bloat.htm

·
Registered
871 Posts
Oil will not reduce surface tension or allow the bubbles to break easier. You need soap, detergent, some kind of anti-bloat medication or a gas relieving product such as simethecone to do that.

http://kinne.net/bloat.htm
We've always used oil and it has worked every time. Not sure what it does for sure, I was told it helps break up the bubbles, but they've always been better within the hour of drinking it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for the help. Yesterday, Rosebud (our female) ate a little bit of the baking soda and water before I had to wear it and then I walked her, massaged her stomach, gave her some olive oil, walked her some more and it helped a lot. After an hour or a little more of working with her, her stomach was smaller and not hard like it was before. She still isn't completely back to normal but she is a lot better and she is getting up on her own and walking around and her stomach has gone down a lot. Thank you everyone very much. We have our pair as pets. We love them and it really means a lot to be able to get on here and ask for help and have so many good people tell me so quickly what to do to help her. This forum has great people. Thank you. I thought she was going to die. Anyways I really want y'all to know that I really appreciate the help. Y'all are awesome.

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
glad she is feeling better..bloat is scary...I like to mix baking soda in enough water to drench...makes getting it down the hatch easier...Massage her belly, bounce it, knead it often through out the day to help her finish getting it all out....

Best wishes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts