what makes a good rear-leg set?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Sonrise Farm, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I am learning, so almost everytime I read a thread on Dairy Goats I make metal notes. What do you think makes a good rear leg set and what are the benefits, and etc. . . :)

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Check out my appraisal report on my website, the rear leg set scores are listed as "Legs, Rear" http://www.sandylanedairygoats.com/2008appraisals.htm

Gives you an idea of good and bad.

I like to see angularity to the legs, I like to see that the legs are strait when I look at them from the back, and that the hocks are not pointed in towards each other. I also don't like to see a goat with hocky rear legs.

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    We have a website and pix blocker on our computer . . . :roll: and if a site has something like udders or breeding in it. . . it gets blocked . . . but i can read everything . . . the pix are just all blocked . . .

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh, the purpose and importance of having a good rear leg set, is so that those rear legs can support the doe when she's in full milk so the weight of the milk in her udder doesn't put stress on other parts of her body, same goes for when she is pregnant and carrying kids. And a good rear leg set really does make a doe look nice.

So you can't see the pics?

5. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    nope. But good angulation and strength of hindleg to support udder is short length of leg between hip and hock perhaps? I have seen many beautiful does with great angulation and it seemed the length of leg between hip and hock was short . . . am I off? lol, Talitha ps. Who want's to be my conformation mentor for the next year or so?

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well with Nigerians I can't say for sure how the rear legs are supposed to look, since they are short. But I do like to see does with the rear legs being longer from the hip to the hock, from the hock to the hoof should still be good length too.

I'll post pics of some of my goats that got E's in the rear legs:
    Molly, the herdqueen
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Caramel, she scored 90
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Ruby
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BooBoo
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And this is Gabby, she scored an A on rear legs, you'll notice how she doesn't have the angularity in her legs that all the other does do, and you can see that esp at the hock.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
  8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
  9. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Photo Bucket is blocked by a large stop sign that says THOU SHALT STOP. Lol, this is starting to get verrrryyy ridiculous . . . Thanks anyway . . . :oops:

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    lol ok, I'll send you pics later, I've got to go out and do chores now :)

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    email sent, check your spam folder for it probably :)

12. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    got it. You have very pretty goats. Thanks!

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks, my girls are my pride and joy :)

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sarah...those goats should be your pride and joy! Beautiful udders and great confirmation! Great job on "breeding up" :thumb:

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    beautiful goats ..........~Sarah~ :love: :shades:

16. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    hah i just thought i clicked on a different topic.. too many sarahs

i shall be sarah con nigies
    ans other sarah will be sarah con lamancha
    haha

not really, but i just had a total blonde moment :doh:

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    thanks guys :)

and yeah there do seem to be a lot of sarahs on here, must be a popular name :cool:

18. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Best way I can explain a good rear leg set is a horseshoe. You want paralell legs, but a bit open curve in the escutcheon. The legs shouldn't be a v shape or narrower up top than they are at the bottom. A nice horseshoe curve is what you're after. Feet are suppose to be square under the animal. If you put the feet out too wide then it messes up the stifle and loins view.

19. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Ashley, that horshoe analogy is great. Also, you want straight, strong pasterns like in front and tight toes. Also the legs should track well and hocks not moving inward to throw the feet out of line. I love a good rear set.