The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the whole x and y chromosome and the father and sperm decide:D. What I am wondering is if there is something that makes one sex more prevalent than the other. This year we have had 100% bucklings, 75% bull calves and weaned over 70% boar (barrow) pigs. Now the laws of average should have made it closer to 50 50 I would think. I have had 3 litters of pigs that were all male in the litter but NEVER had a litter of all females. For my feeders I really don't mind at all but it sucks for my registered pigs and my dairy goat kids.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I know that pH and the timing of fertilization in relation to ovulation have an effect on the gender of human children. The reason being that X and Y sperm have different environments that they thrive in. For example if you have sex 2 days prior to ovulation you have a much higher chance of conceiving a girl because X sperm live longer, but if sex is on the day of ovulation a boy is more likely because Y sperm are faster.

Maybe the weather or food changed the animals' pH to be hostile to X sperm?

·
Registered
401 Posts
My ag teacher was talking about this last week! I wish i could remember. He said with dogs breed them right before they go out of heat for boys, hogs soon as they come in to heat no later (for i have no idea but i think female though), and for cattle i can't really remember but it was something like if the bull has too many cows to breed at once they end up majority boys because the Y chromosomes are produced faster so they run out of x faster. Like i said i can't remember half of it but i wish i could. :) I've been thinking how to change boy/girl ratio too, its pretty cool.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I've heard that to get a higher chance of doelings, give the doe and buck ACV in their water everyday for a week. My friends had two boer% goats kid this summer. On one, they did the ACV. The doe had triplets, 2 girls, 1 boy. The other doe didn't get any AVC, and she had triplet bucks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard that to get a higher chance of doelings, give the doe and buck ACV in their water everyday for a week. My friends had two boer% goats kid this summer. On one, they did the ACV. The doe had triplets, 2 girls, 1 boy. The other doe didn't get any AVC, and she had triplet bucks.
How much ACV?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I'm not sure, honestly. I could text her later and ask if you want though :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I have a question, when the doe is in heat, when is the best time to breed her so there is a better chance of females?

·
1,524 Posts
My goats get ACV year round. Past 2 years I have had almost all bucks. The years before that I did not use ACV and I had mostly does. It would make more sense to ****** with the vinegar, since the mucus in the does reporductive tract is supposed to be acidic to produce does, as Y sperm as supposed to be sensitive to acidic conditons, preferring a more alkaline envornment.

The 50/50 is a law of average over many seasons, not just a small farm. If i count the does and bucks born for the past 5 years, it is 49/51 does to bucks.

Sperm that produces females is suposed to be stronger but slower swimmers. If that is the case, breeding your doe as soon as she shows signs of standing heat and then not again will assure the stronger, yet slower, steadier swimmers will win out since the boy maker sperm make a mad dash but lack the stamina for the long run.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
My goats get ACV year round. Past 2 years I have had almost all bucks. The years before that I did not use ACV and I had mostly does. It would make more sense to ****** with the vinegar, since the mucus in the does reporductive tract is supposed to be acidic to produce does, as Y sperm as supposed to be sensitive to acidic conditons, preferring a more alkaline envornment.

The 50/50 is a law of average over many seasons, not just a small farm. If i count the does and bucks born for the past 5 years, it is 49/51 does to bucks.

Sperm that produces females is suposed to be stronger but slower swimmers. If that is the case, breeding your doe as soon as she shows signs of standing heat and then not again will assure the stronger, yet slower, steadier swimmers will win out since the boy maker sperm make a mad dash but lack the stamina for the long run.
That is quite interesting. For the past two kiddings, my doe has given me bucks both times, no girls. So that would mean she was bred before she was in standing heat?

·
14,615 Posts
Our does have ACV almost year round. Maybe a half cup to 15 gal.
Some does seem to always have more bucklings but it usually evens out every season between all of them.
I haven't kept track of when they visit buck as when it's breeding season I just put them with him, ready or not.
An FF last year was 2D & 1B. In her two kiddings, Shotgun has only produced doelings. Now that you know, she will make a liar out of me.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Could it ever be as simple as some bucks are more likely to throw boys or girls?
Sure it could. It happens in people.

mlktrkdrvr - who knows how nature works, or what influences the sex of the kid. I have does that have twin buck/doe every single year - regardless of who the buck is. I also have does that have twin does every single year. Then I have does who have twin does one year, twin bucks the next, back to twin does - it doesn't vary. I don't do anything different, the bucks change every 2 or 3 years, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. :shrug: I quit worrying/fussing about it - doesn't do any good anyway - they are going to have what they are going to have. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
hot and cold weather also determine the amount of male and female sperm. while nature produces slightly more males than females anyway. male sperm has a shorter lifespan in cool weather so if you are seeing more boys it is because warm weather allows male sperm to live longer than their usual shorter lifespan. i'm not sure but if you are waiting for the cooler weather to breed your does you should have more does as long as the weather stays cool when your does are in heat. if it is cold then warm again more male survive so i guess if you are seeing more males maybe you should wait another cycle. but as cold as it looks out your way today breed them quick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts