The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FF nubian gives about a quart a milking. I just finished a quart that had an after taste of goat, not bad but you could certainly taste it. the next quart- 12 hours later milk- tastes great. No after taste- no goat smell- just really great milk. She had no change in ration. Wondering how it can change so fast.

·
Registered
101 Posts
milk is like a sponge, make sure you are milking away from the barn so it does not capture any of that taste.
I have also found that storing it uncovered in the fridge helps it last longer.
goat milk is awesome but goaty milk can leave a bad taste for a long time!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the fresher the better and getting it on ice to bring the milk down in temp. if you dont drink it sooner than 4 days. make yogurt or vinegar cheese with it.
different breeds also have different tastes. we are used to nigerian dwarf milk. we tried alpine last week because we were thinking of getting a couple to increase our volume and the breeder is willing to give us a good deal, but the family says its ok but prefer the nigerian. probably be better if it was mixed with the nigerian. i think it takes a while to change from cows to goat milk no matter what breed. the breeds that are primarily cheese makers have a stronger taste. it would take would alot of getting used to for us to drink, but we certainly are open to trying it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i do the same thing every day. Milk the goat- come in the house and immediately filter into a clean jar and refrigerate it in the back of the line. I just wondered if it was hormones (I don't think she is cycling but maybe) or if it was something I was doing wrong. I only have one milker right now so I know it is all coming from the same goat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts