What medications, wormers are harmful for pregnant does?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kids-n-peeps, Feb 20, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm sorry if this was already asked . . . just want to make sure I don't give my pregnant pygmy/nigie mix anything that could hurt her or the unborn kids :?

In addition to a general list, I did want to ask about one specific thing:
    -- is feed with Deccox in it safe for my pregnant doe?

Thanks everyone :drool:

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I start feeding Deccox after kidding....so if it's safe for preggy does I'd be interested in that info as well! LOL As far as unsafe wormers... the only one that I know of is Valbazen..... BIG no no for prego does as it will cause abortions.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Ivomec is safe
    Ivomec Plus, is Not Safe

Wormwood, valbazen are also not safe. all i can think of at the moment

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Deccox is safe after the 3rd month of pregnancy, I'm pretty sure that there is a milk withdrawal time on it but not sure of the time frame. My vet told me to mix 1lb of Deccox into 25lbs of loose mineral and have it freechoice to my does starting at 3 months of pregnancy to prevent them from shedding cocci oocysts..... I don't do this because of the doe I have in milk, I dose individually with Di-Methox.

I personally would not use a medicated feed with my does due to the fact that I use the milk at 3 weeks fresh.

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    My doelings are fed medicated goat pellets until they are close to kidding time, when I transition them over to my dairy ration. It does not hurt the kids and helps the doelings to keep growing. I don't feed those pellets to adult does.
    Valbazen and wormers with flukacides are bad for bred does. As for other meds, I don't like to give anything to bred does unless it's necessary. As my vet said, it's better to use a medication than wind up with a dead doe.