The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
kidstokids
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting milking goats. I have done lots of reading, but I am still confused as to what goat is best for me. I was thinking of Nigerians because of their size. But I was thinking I might want more milk. I have six kids and I would like at least a gallon a day. Can I get a Nigerian and a larger breed? The goat also needs an easy temperment and good with kids is a must. I am also wanting good milk as I need the kids to want to drink it. So. . . Any suggestions?

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
we own saanen, nubian, lamancha and Oberhasli...all are great with my kids ( we have eight) and my almost 2 year old grand daughter..Saanen are quiet and docile..high milk producers, ( mine do one gallon being mikedonce a day) Lamancha are friendly, fun and do well in milk...I have two who are at the gallon mark as well andone not far behind..They are not as quiet as Saanen but not as mouthy as Nubian..but Nubian are great too..long adorable ears..Oberhasli are also quiet and docile like the Saanen..we have one in mik right now and she does nearly a gallon...with six kids..you will want at least two good milkers..: ) to get great tasteing milk, do the three B's.....be clean, be fast.. be cold...lol..wash and dry hands and udders with a disinfected cleaner..( we use vinegar and water)...milk, strain and cool as fast as you can...the sooner you get it under 40 degrees the sweeter your milk will taste..we milk and strain in the barn in quart size jars..smaller jars cool faster..we put the jars in the freezer for 1-2 hours...in hot temps we put th jars in a ice bath to cool even faster....but be warned...once your kids taste goats milk..there is no going back...:D

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
1.) You could get 2 Nigerians. Since it is good to get 2 goats (or 6 or 15) together, they would be buddies AND you would have all the milk you need. They are super sweet too.

2.) You could get a LaMancha. Munchies are extremely gentle and they give SO much milk! Their butterfat content is almost as high as Nubians.

3.) You could get a Nubian. They are a little louder and pushier than the other breeds, but still veeery lovey and sweet. Their butterfat content is the highest of standard breeds, and I will tell you- their milk is GOOD!

Most goats have good tasting milk no matte what the butterfat content is. It comes back to genetics and nutrition on how it tastes. Good luck deciding!!

·
kidstokids
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do some goats milk taste better than others? Some sites say some goats milk is "goaty".
How tall of a fence do you have for your goats?

·
kidstokids
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
TrintyRanch- should I get baby goat or adult? Do I ask to see what milk tastes like from breeder?
I read the Nigerian could give three cups a day(average for that breed) that just doesn't seem like enough. My kids already drink almost a gallon a day and thats with the baby not drinking milk yet. That is the only reason I was reconsidering that breed.

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
I don't think that 2 Nigerians would be enough for 6 kids. My 4 kids could drink up everything that 1 Saanen and 2 Alpine/Nubian crosses could give everyday. I would get a little extra and start making cheese, they would sneak in and eat all the green cheese curds. Of course my kids were like a plague of locusts :D
My grandson now drinks everything a full sized doe can give him. With a bit left over for Nana and Papa.
I would pick 1 Saanen and 2 Lamanchs does. I would get a Nigerian buck to keep them in milk and sell first generation minis.

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
That's when you set out to make hard cheese; You have to hang the curds in cheese cloth to drain before you can press them into a brick and let the brick age to turn it into cheddar or white cheese.
The kids would snack out of the cheese cloth until it was gone. Don't forget yogurt, ice cream, etc. You need a lot of milk.

·
rdmtnfarms
760 Posts
I was worried about "goatie" flavor to the milk, but if you follow the three B's it is just like cows milk but sweeter and creamier. At least from store bought. With sixe kids I would go with two to three standard sized goats.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When you buy goats milk in the store it tastes and smells very gamey but when we milk our does the milk smells very sweet! We don't drink our milk, maybe we should start!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I've pretty much only kept Saanens as milk goats, so I can't *really* compare, but Saanens are very nice goats that give a lot of milk. It's what I call "2%" though. Other breeds have higher milk fat content. My favorite milk to drink from my does is my Boer doe Ginger's. She doesn't give a dairy amount, but I can milk her out in about one minute and the milk tastes like sweet half and half.
I've always thought that if a person wanted to get a good milk goat they should keep the "breed" options open and look first for a breeder of good healthy goats that was reputable and willing to help if you after the sale. I'd rather have the best Nubian in the world than the worst Saanen. If you catch my drift.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You can try a mix of a Nigerian and a standard breed :) They will be a little bigger than Nigerians, but not as big as standard breeds, and you get more milk!

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
I always say if I can have only one breed it would be lamanchas....Google Dairy breeds on line and look at each breed..read about temperments and butter fat ect...what look do you like..many have trouble with Lamanchas no ear thing..I love it..they are my favorite breed..I get plenty of color, milk and snuggles from them ..Hubby loves the saanen..and they are great goats...we get plenty of milk and love from them as they are super gentle giants..the largest dairy breed I believe..but very gentle..but no color,..they are solid white..so consider your eye candy needs as well..Visit repsected farms in your area..let them brag about their goats..shop around and be picky...buy goats that are glossy and bright eyed, alert..pooping berries and chewing a cud...good legs and good udder attachment...consider this visual...if you hold a filled water balloon by the knot....see how it pulls at the top, feel the pressure in your finger tips..this is a bad udder... avoid her...if you take the same filled water balloon and hold it by encircling it, thumb to thumb and finger to finger 1/3 of the way down the ballon...now you have support on all sides of the water balloon...this is a nice udder..well supported...also look at teat..you want them long enough to grab easy with out cramping the hand and fat enough to hold onto..pinky teats are hard to milk ..thumb teats are near perfect..give or take :) You should be able to walk up to the goat and touch her...you should be able to rub her all over...best of luck..

·
Registered
635 Posts
Feed, health, sanitation and quick chilling are more important than breed, although some breeds do have higher butterfat. I raise Toggs and Mini-Toggs. People will tell you Togg milk is strong. It is tangier than some breeds, but the Toggenburg breed was developed for cheese production, not so much for milk and Togg milk makes outstanding cheese.
To me, the finest tasting milk is Nigerian milk. Sadly, milking Nigerians is like milking cats. Too little yield and tiny teats for my big hands. I started my mini-togg line as an experiment. I crossed a Nigerian buck onto one of my purebred Togg does. The minis I have produced have continued the Togg tradition of heavy production but their milk is higher in fat and sweeter than the purebreds. I have several first generation mini Toggs that milk a gallon a day and at about two thirds the size of a standard Togg, they eat a lot less. You would do well to consider the mini-Dairy breeds for family milk. There are now breeders of miniature versions of all the standard dairy breeds. Here in the west Mini-Manchas seem the most popular.

·
kidstokids
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what everyone is saying, I like the idea of the mini's. I need to find people in the area with goats. Maybe I will do better seeing some breeds in person.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Also, a side note on milk flavor. Keep in mind that most Americans have been raised on milk that has literally been killed with ultra-pasteurization. It has essentially no flavor at all. This is what millions of us think milk is supposed to taste like.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is my Mini Nubian Doe Luna:) She is such a sweetie!! She can be loud, especially when you leave the pen and she realizes she can't come with you!

I will suggest options for you:) Just my opinion!

1) Enough to get what you want:)

Three Mini Does.
or
Two Standard size Does

A year old or more.

Preferably bred or "in milk".

If not, then breed to a Nigerian Dwarf Buck. For smaller babies and easier kidding.

2) Enough- All year long.

Six Mini Does
Or
Four Standard Does

Bred with a ND Buck. And breed so you always have half your Does "in milk".

Btw IMO Mini's are much easier to handle and transport!

Hope this helps:)

Attachments

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
When you buy goats milk in the store it tastes and smells very gamey but when we milk our does the milk smells very sweet! We don't drink our milk, maybe we should start!
Absolutely! Drink it. If you care for it right it's wonderful. You guys are killing me...another week and I'll have some for me too!

Sounds like you need milk now...so I wouldn't buy kids...try to get a good doe in milk...then you can taste her milk and watch her on the milkstand. For a newbie, I would suggest that. Now, she won't be "cheap", but, you don't want a cheap goat. Stay away from auction houses. And, buy from "tested" herds. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts