What Next !!!???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Julie, May 4, 2008.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Ugh ! I think I've been having a "run of bad luck" with some of my goats lately !

Within the past month and a half I've dealt with :
    Oreo - scours
    Bambi - scours (both grain related)

Mika rejected her baby

Noel got rammed by Mika hard enough to cause her to go blind in one eye

And NOW ~ Ice has a problem !!!!
    I cut my guys off of the grain now that they're not breeding, and it's not rut season, and it's warmer weather, etc. So they've been getting just hay.
    So I don't have to go into the pen. I even stand outside the pen to fill the water bucket. So there's no need for me to go inside the pen on a daily basis. SO for the past few weeks I haven't went in much.
    Ice never really liked my bucks to begin with - because of all their rough housing. So Ice sort of stays his distance from my other bucks.
    SO I'm used to Ice mainly being outside (there's a large dog box stuffed with hay outside especially for him. And I hear him when I go down - and hear him outside, but he doesn't come in the pen much - so I don't SEE him each time I go inside the barn. Now of course if I wouldn't hear him (knowing he stays outside) ... I would go in and check on him. But as long as I can hear him, and I know where he's at - I don't go in to see him all the time.

ANYWAY ~ for some reason today I heard him, but thought - I want to go in today and pet him and talk to him. Just to check him all over, etc. Plus I thought it was weird cause I normally get a glance of him outside (through the pen door), but today didn't see him .... JUST heard him.
    So I went out in the pen ... and about CROAKED !!! There he was in the corner of the pen with his head through the fence (it's goat fence - just big enough for his head to get through) and WRAPPED around (like a U turn) back through the next fence hole ! sounds confusing - but it was like his kneck was "weaved" through the fence. And he layed there hollering - there was a pile of poop (indicating this didn't just happen minutes ago) and his belly was all sticky (dry) from laying and peeing on himself. There was also some green gook (like his cud) laying under his chin. I about FREAKED !!!! I gently pushed his head through the one hole, and then through the other hole. And he was out. Of course though - his kneck was then "bent" from his muscles being so WEAK and he seemed fine otherwise - but his kneck was so weak. Of course right away I felt all the way down his kneck, and it's not broke or anything like that - everything FEELS in place and fine ... just weak. And he's fine otherwise. I brought him in the barn and gave him some food, water, fastrack and dewormed him (since his immune system is probably really low from the stress). He ate fine, didn't seem to want a drink (I wish he would've drank some), and took the fastrack and wormer. Now he's standing down there in the barn munching hay. Acting fine - just has a weak kneck. I prayed for him, and really massaged his kneck (which he liked of course).

So keep Ice in your prayers - he seems fine, but please pray that his kneck goes back to NORMAL ... please. Thanks

2. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I'm praying for him..that would be so scary! Poor Ice!

3. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Always been told that bad luck runs in 3's. You have had your share and good luck should be headed your way. Best wishes for speedy recovery for Ice!

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Julie, I am so sorry you feel like there is such a run of bad luck going. Sometimes it does feel that way though these things happen. Ice will recover, I'm sure with your TLC and up keep he'll be back to normal. I know it's hard to deal with right now. :hug:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh poor Julie! Make sure you take care of yourself to - stress on yourself can cause problems for you too.

Ice should be fine, they sure do get themselves in a lot of trouble.

The more goats you own the more problems you have it is just a simple fact of goat raising. Sound like you are ready now for some good changes in your life. I am sure things will start to look up soon. :hug:

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh Julie, I'm so sorry to hear about this!! I hope he gets better soon.

Do you have any Arnica? If you do I would give him that for a couple days.

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Poor boy- I hope he recovers right away. I agree that not drinking is scary but maybe he really wasn't there as long as you think- stress creates lots of poop from my girls.
    Maybe a warm compress for his neck might help with the "kinks." A sock of rice or beans warmed in the microwave and held against the neck for awhile?