The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ND just kidded yesterday. What next? Does she need extra feed and how much? Right now I am giving her 1/3 cup twice a day of Noble Goat and peanut hay and about 1/2 cup of alfalfa pellets once a day.

I've been using Molly's wormers. Should I use something else this one time or trust it? Also have cooper boluses coming in the mail. Will give them that when it comes.

Also, I just noticed my 24 hour old baby girl went loose poopy. She is also panting a lot, but our weather is hot. I put a fan in the barn to see if that would help. Should I be concerned? She's spry other wise. Thanks!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
after my doe kidded, I gave her molasses water just to give some sugar and iron boost. and you will want to up the grain and alfalfa, but i'm going to let someone else tell you how much (I have standards).

you should worm your doe. if you're using Mollys, I believe there's info on their website for after birthing worming regimen and cocci prevention in kids.

what colour was the poop?

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
I would slowly increase her grain...leave hay out free choice, loose minerals...I also worm mine after kidding...Not sure how herbal works..I use Valbazen on new moms..

whenyou say loose poop...is that runny or pasty? here is a link for baby poop..take a look and see how your little fit in...
http://goat-link.com/content/view/46/75/#.UlRrkWSDTL8

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what colour was the poop?
It was yellowish brown but not really mushy wet. She went dark pellets right after birth. I will keep a watch on her. Thanks.
I'll start giving mamma some molasses water,too. I gave her some raisins right after she delivered, but I'm sure she can use more iron and sugar.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
dark pellets right after birth is normal. after that it should be kinda browny-orangey gooey-ness.

Mollys would work, just stick to the dosage on her website, and watch for worminess, and maybe get her poop tested to see if she has any worms.

you're doing great!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I continue to use Molly's after kidding and I've never had a high worm count. Just keep using it as she says.

We give 8 to 9 cups of grain to our full sized, Alpine does in milk, plus free choice hay, lose minerals and baking soda, and pasture. If they have kids on them during the day, they get 9 cups, otherwise 8.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts