What price should I ask to shear a friend's overgrown sheep?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Kadyakyanneg, May 4, 2020.

1. Kadyakyanneg

Kadyakyanneg New Member

May 4, 2020
    Hi there, I'm a professional dog groomer, and I used to shear sheep for a friend of mine. Well recently she's asked me to come shear her 6 Jacob's sheep. I know it's been a while since they were done, but this was almost 3 years of growth!! Plus I clipped their extremely over grown hooves and mended their sores. Covered in feces and urine and dirt. Took me 8 hours (with a lunch break and her husband holding them down) for me to do 3 sheep!! She picked me up and I used her equipment, and a price wasn't discussed, but she paid me $60 that day, and only 40 today, I did 2 sheep (harder than the other 3) and I clipped extremely overgrown hooves on 2 goats. I feel this was an unfair price but I'm not sure if I should say anything :(. She's an elderly lady, and she's been very very ill so I'm trying not to judge. Please give me some advice!!!

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  2. Kadyakyanneg

Kadyakyanneg New Member

May 4, 2020
    I'll add, if these were dogs I was grooming, id have price quoted $100 a dog!

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    hmm.. Sounds like she should sell her herd. I understand, your time is valuable, and so is your dear friend. Getting 100$ for 6 sheep with about 16 hours of work time definitley isnt enough. Go with your heart. If you really think that you should be paid more, ask her! Do be aware, she may not take it well.
    Sorry i dont have good advice, and sorry you are in this situation. It is hard.

4. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    This is why i always advise people to discuss this first. If she decides not to pay you more you cant take your service back. I agree its not enough

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't ask for more as it wasn't agreed before and maybe she gave what she could. But if you want or are willing to continue servicing the animals (and it sounds like they NEED your help), I would call in 2 months and tell her it's hoof trimming time again and tell her a per animal price.