The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She has nursed directly off her CAE positive Dam...and tested positive for antibodies at 3 mos old. We tested before purchase (yay for us, whew), but I'm trying to give the now concerned owner of the Dam and doelings as much information as possible on CAE.

I'ven ever delt with CAE or managing a positive herd, so any information from those who have would be helpful. WADDL says it's hit or miss and many doen't develop CAE and eventually test negative...but....I thought once antibodies were there coupled with knowing the doe was dam raised = a CAE positive goat for life (though potentially asymptomatic)

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
I read that 80% of all dairy goats are CAE positive...that is a huge percent..not all who test Positive for CAE have symptoms and can live their whole life symptom free..this is why testing is needed..you cant tell by looking...not all kids who nurse from CAE positive mom will be positive..twins can nurse on mom and one be pos. the other neg. ..however one who test positive at 3 months is more than likely positive. I would not toss in the towel on her however..I was told to go about it this way: retest at 6 months old see where her numbers are..if they are quite a bit lower hold off and retest her at a year old..be sure not to vaccinate within 90 days of pulling blood..no wormer, no cd&t, nothing...just a clean blood sample..if her number keep dropping, keep retesting every 6 months..if after 2 years she never drops to a negative then assume she is positive..if you do hit just at the negative mark..testing three years on a row before claiming negative for CAE on her. Its time consuming but if the doe comes from good blood line or is a dearly loved pet, then its worth the effort...

I dont know how waddl shows their test results but bio-tracking gives a % number that helps you know where they stand..for ex;..40% or higher is a positive goat..I had a doe test positive with 88%..no question she was positive..
so if your little 3 month old scored a 40 making her positive..then at 6 months she scored a 35 making her negative for CAE I would keep testing to get at least 3 negative test scores before claiming she is negative..

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah...the doe was 70% positive, so I'm glad we tested before purchase. Only stinks we spent the $$ on all the tests and that we can't bring home the cutie....and I hated to be the one to pass along the bad news to the owner about her since she sold all her other does but this one and her retained sister....

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Its not easy for sure...but she now knows..and she can find a pet home or a cae positive herd to sell them to and start fresh with tested cae neg. goats...a cae positive herd are hard to find..but they are out there... or retain them...breed them with cae prevention measures and try to restart her herd cae negative that way...one thing I have learned about CAE...not testing doesnt change the fact they are positive..knowing is power...even if its a bit of heart ache at first.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I think I would retest the doeling when she is over 6 months and has been off of milk for at least a couple months. Sometimes antibodies in the milk (regular antibodies) can cause them to show up as positive. Is the dam tested positive? If the dam is tested positive even if you get a negative result from this doe I would always assume she is positive and could seroconvert at any time and would follow strict CAE prevention with her. Most goats don't show symptoms of CAE, like happybleats said that is why testing is needed to know for sure. A lot of breeders will say "I've never had any show symptoms so don't have it in my herd" they can't know for sure without testing. Being CAE positive isn't a death sentence, but it is more work. If you don't want it in your herd, then obviously you would pass on this girl. If she was spectacular and had awesome breeding and you wanted to go through the work to pull kids as soon as they are born, heat treat colostrum , pastuerize all milk and raise on strict CAE prevention it can be done and you can end up with kids from this doe that are negative. If the goat does end up showing symptoms such as loosing weight, chronic pneumonia, arthritis, etc. it would be in the best interest of the goat to be put to sleep.

As far as I have heard, once they are an adult if they test positive they are positive for life. Stress, vaccinations, etc. can affect the results but typically you won't see a high positive if there has been some kind of stress on the animal. With kids it is best to wait until they are older due to the influence of antibodies from the colostrum/milk they have been or are receiving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts