The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my bottle fed babies when I have long days I need to work.

1. Should I rent a doe in milk? They have been taking bottles for 2 days now. I think they'd be okay nursing again. --but they are not nutered because they are only 2 weeks old and I don't want them getting faux mom pregnant!

2. Have a pet sitter on call?

3. Just try to work from home as much as possible and not worry about the longer days if they are only occasional.

Also wondering how long to bottle feed? I don't mind it, and I nursed my own son until he self weaned so I am just curious. I want what's best for them.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Do you have a neighbor or neighbor child that would come over and bottle feed for you in the afternoons(my daughter is dying to do this)...?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
i would wait to 12 weeks to wean.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Train them on a bottle bucket. I had all my babies on a bucket with nipples, they drank when they were hungry, worked great after they got the idea. Also called lambar

·
558 Posts
How old are they and how long would they have to wait for a bottle on long days compared to when you are home? Are they old enough to wean them down to a bottle in the morning and one at night?

I was told to bottle feed until they are 12-16 weeks old.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Check into a lambar or self-feeder and put cold milk in it with several - maybe a lot - of ice packs depending on how hot it gets in your area. Hoegger carries one that is not very expensive. I have never used it, though, so I cannot attest to it's efficiency. Maybe set it up over the week-end when you can be there to check it. Babies tend to not over-eat on cold milk like they do warm milk. They will have milk available all day and should not get sick.

How long to bottle is going to depend on the kid. I wean mine when they are eating hay good and at least a pound of grower pellets a day. I then then increase the pellets to 2 or 3 pounds depending on the kid and whether they are male or female.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah that lambar looks perfect. I just need them to eat once while I'm gone.

I feed three bottles right now, one at about 7 one at 430 and one at 8 on my long days when I can't be at home. I let them drink as much as they want in the morning and at 430, knowing they are very hungry. If I am home it's 7 12 4 and then 7. They are gaining well and didn't seem too panicked about yesterday when I wasn't home until 430. But I would like the milk to be there for them if they are hungry. I like the idea of self regulating as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts