The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we bought her at an auction (yes i know not the best place to buy at) and she was pregnant, she had her kid and it was a huge.
we checked her right before she had it and then when we realized she had it the baby was still slightly warm but it was dead and there was no saving it. and it wasnt cleaned off at all like she hadent even tried to lick off the stuff around its face or anything, so it was either still born or she didnt tend to it.

we were thinking that if she doesnt tend to her kids or she has alot of still borns that might be the reason she was at the auction.
would it be a good idea to sell her and buy a one NOT at an auction that we know for sure is successful at having kids? or do you think we should try one more year and see if kidding goes well next time?

oh and she is a pygmy, we dont know what she was bred to.

·
2,203 Posts
Try another year and see how she does with proper monitoring. Even if she's a bad mother, you can either latch babies on a different surrogate momma or bottle feed.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Do you know if she's an FF? That may be why she didn't tend to it. If it was a stillborn it could be because her past home didn't care for her like they should have. If she didn't tend to it, it may be because she didn't know she had to(her kids may have always been pulled and she just didn't mind) or because she was new to the mothering thing. She might also have rejected the baby for some reason. I agree with msj, if she is a nice doe and you want to breed her again, she will likely do a lot better with the proper care. If not, there's always bottlefeeding lol!

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
I think you should breed her again and give her a chance at a good home.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I would give her another breeding. Every doe has a bad year once in a while, and next year she may do fantastic. :)

Auctions sometimes have "that find" go through that is really a very nice goat!! I bought my very first goat from our livestock auction, and she has proved to be a treasure! She gave me a beautiful set of twin doelings last year, and an adorable set of triplet bucklings this year, and is an excellent mother. I have trained her to be milked, and she is now one of my easiest milkers! She is a little stand-offish, but is very sweet when she wants to be. She is an easy keeper and never gets sick. As yet, I haven't found anything terribly wrong with her, and just wonder why someone sold her! Lol Sorry to brag so much on my Frosty, but I would just like to show you that auction goats can sometimes be just what you're looking for!! :)

Good luck with your girl, and I hope she turns out to be a treasure!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts