The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my buck, he has a pretty big scur that has been bleeding off and on for a week or two, today it was just flopping around, hanging from what looks like a huge blood vessel.... what should I do??

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
can you get someone to help you - cut it off and then hit it with a disbudding iron to catherize it? I would be terrified to do it but that is what i suggest

OR You can put blood stop powder on it

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked my dad that, but he was afraid that the blood vessel would shrink back into his head and we wouldn't be able to stop bleeding. But I did think about it, we may do that.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Do you have Phosphorus or Arnica? Here is what I would do, give him Aconitum first before you do what you will, then beforehand, give him a dose of Phosphorus for bleeding, after the 'procedure' give him Arnica for pain. Alternate Arnica and Phosphorus every 15 minutes to half hour afterwords.

How attached is it? By a vessel? Skin? Horn? If it doesn't seem that attached, you could get your dad to help hold him, then twist the scur off, or you could get some kind of veterinary scissors(sterilized of course) and cut it off. It it is attached by horn, I would put a band on it and let that do that job.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't really tell, I can wiggle it though. I do have phosphorous and Arnica. I'll have to check if we have Aconitum. Would you use a disbudding iron or blood stop? Which one works better?

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I had the vet do mine but honestly, I would not be comfortable using the iron unless you are SURE of where the vessel is and sure that you have him secured well so that he isn't fighting. Blood stop will cover a better area of course, but it might not help profuse bleeding. The phosphorus and arnica will help to slow bleeding down, and it is important to give that to him. You could also put a pressure bandage on him afterwards. After you are done giving him arnica and phosphorus, you can keep up with the arnica and you can also give him hypericum because that is for tissue damage and repair.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I personally would put a band down low on it or cut it off and use the iron and burn the vessels as best as I can. Both are going to be extremely painful. Only other option is a vet, who probably would really numb the area and either cut it off and burn it or surgically remove it.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
I had a pygmy that did this with a horn that I had banded.

I took the disbudding iron and hit the blood supply before I took the horn off. Then I removed the horn and burned it real good again. I had no problems and no regrowth at all.

Hope this helps!

Oh I gave antibiotics also (Pen) just in case since it was open.

Allison

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A friend of ours helped me with it. He just held onto him through the pen (cattle pannel) and twisted it off, it didn't bleed at all, Blue screamed bloody murder but was eating just a few minutes after the "procedure". So everything it fine!!

He said he has never had a buck that sensetive :ROFL:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts