The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Irena had triplets the other day. The kids seem to favor the right side, leaving her left side full and uncomfortable to her which makes her hate it when the kids try to nurse. So I had a thought, should I milk out about half on that side? I've been massaging that side and squirting out a few squirts to help relieve her. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Definitely milk it out at least once keep the milk and freeze it for future use if you have other does. The kids will go to that side once you get her comfortable. And they discover that that side works too.

·
1,524 Posts
Milk it out for as long as the kids do not use it. Once they get a bit older, they will discover the other milk bar, but until that time you should milk her out twice a day.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I don't know what to do. It looks like she has stopped producing milk for the babies. Her udder is smaller and she won't let the kids nurse and puts up a fight when I tried milking her. I barely got anything from her. Her udder is squishy not hard. What should I do to help bump up her production? I do have milk replacer if worse comes to worse. I'm having my mom go out and buy some lumber for the rest of my milk stand. Should I have her pick up some udder balm to help massage her udder? I don't know what to do, I'd like to milk this doe but right now it looks like I won't be able to.... I attached some before and after photos.

Attachments

·
8,367 Posts
Does she have mastitis? (Infection in the udder)? I would massage her udder, milk her out completely (if you can) after you
check for mastitis. There might be pieces of stuff in the milk, a bit of bloody looking tissue (little strings), etc.
If the kids have round tummies, then they are getting to eat. If they are sunken in, then you may have a problem.
Sometimes does do push the kids away if they are too rough, but are actually permitting them to be fed occasionally. My does
generally shove the kids off after a few minutes and later, I see the kids eating, again.

·
2,180 Posts
The goat ladies can have fleshy bags anyway, but also kids on her doesn't really help either. They can really be a pain...literally. You can try the hot compress, and rub some peppermint oil on her as well (Vick's works too if you have it).

She may also be "holding" for later feeding. You can try to give a small shot if oxytocin to see if she lets down all her milk for you. 1/4-1/2cc will do just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.