The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just hot a new French Alpine buckling; about two months old, maybe a little more. And I'm wondering if he need anything in particular while he's growing. I've heard that bucks really don't need anything but hay and minerals, but I feel like that's not enough for him to grow into a 200+ pound buck. Right now I'm just feeding him a small handful of alfalfa pellets every day.That's the same as what our doelings (theyre the same age, roughly) are getting as well, except they get more alfalfa, about 1/2 a pound each every day. I'm also wondering about them, but mostly the buck.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll probably stick with alfalfa. But I've heard there's too much calcium in alfalfa for bucks; how much is too much to feed?

·
Super Moderator
59,742 Posts
The problem isn't calcium. It is actually phosphorus. You need to make sure that the ratio is 2.5/3:1 calcium to phosphorus. Usually calcium ends up being low and phosphorus higher than it should be. You have to look at everything they eat for this ratio. You can also give him ammonium chloride once or twice a week.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have two growing bucklings about the same age as yours. in addition to their hay that they get free choice, they get two feedings of Purina Noble Goat, once in the morning and once in the evening. It's the medicated pelleted feed and has ammonium chloride in it, although I have heard this amount in the feed is not enough for prevention of UC. I am going to order some ammonium chloride just in case this is true.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem isn't calcium. It is actually phosphorus. You need to make sure that the ratio is 2.5/3:1 calcium to phosphorus. Usually calcium ends up being low and phosphorus higher than it should be. You have to look at everything they eat for this ratio. You can also give him ammonium chloride once or twice a week.
Shouldn't be to hard to figure it out; he's only eating minerals and alfalfa (and hay/grass of course)-or do i have to figure that out too?
Where could I get ammonium chloride?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have two growing bucklings about the same age as yours. in addition to their hay that they get free choice, they get two feedings of Purina Noble Goat, once in the morning and once in the evening. It's the medicated pelleted feed and has ammonium chloride in it, although I have heard this amount in the feed is not enough for prevention of UC. I am going to order some ammonium chloride just in case this is true.
That sound good, but we're really trying to avoid any feed that isn't organic, or at least any feed that has corn in it, as it is all GMO. We decided not to feed anything GMO to our animals anymore, especially the ones we drink milk from.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can get ammonium chloride from hoegers supply,try them probably Jeffers
I actually just got an order from Hoegger a couple days ago; rather not order again so soon- do you think the vet would have it? We might be going there tomorrow-I could pick it up.

·
Registered
402 Posts
That sound good, but we're really trying to avoid any feed that isn't organic, or at least any feed that has corn in it, as it is all GMO. We decided not to feed anything GMO to our animals anymore, especially the ones we drink milk from.
I wish I could find organic feed around here.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish I could find organic feed around here.
Where do you live? If you're in tx, Coyote Creek mill sells organic goat feed and chicken feed. They are located in Elgin. But the prices are awful, so we opted not to go organic, but instead to just not feed grain, only alfalfa(thanks, threehavens for the suggestion!) she said it works for her, and so far it works for us as well.
I don't know, but they would probably ship if you bought in bulk. The min. order from them is 500 lbs anyway.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
You'd be surprised how much of alfalfa is GMO. Trying to do what's best can cost an arm and a leg. It's frustrating
unfortunately, it does not surprise me, and yes it's super frustrating! :(

as for feeding buckling, i'm giving him all the browse he can get, hay (although my goats don't seem to eat any of it), and what he can steal out of his momma's bowl. minerals and baking soda.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Our buckling eats alfalfa and a tiny handful of Noble Goat Grain daily. He is 10 weeks old, and he still gets 2 small bottles daily. We were finally able to find alfalfa that is unsprayed. Unfortunately, we would have to have organic grain shipped to us, and I am sure the price would be out of this world. You are lucky if you can find all that in your area! :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'd love to be able to find organic or even unsprayed option, but i'm at the mercy of feed importing companies that are large and don't want to bring in organic. it would be WAY expensive (likely at least 3x what you guys would have to pay in the US). heck, I can't even get goat minerals here!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts