The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have around 30 does 8-11 months old and some didnt grow very good what should I feed them?

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Alfalfa and a 16% protein grain. Start them out slowly on it.

Also, if they are stunted, I'd get a fecal on at least one for worms and cocci, it does stunt growth.

Have free choice loose salt and minerals with copper for them.

They may also have deficiencies, which can stunt growth as well, if they have no access to the salt and minerals. Don't use blocks they are no good.

What kind of goats are they?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 nubian 2 lamanchas 2 alpines and the rest are sannan. We got them as bottle babies and we raised them on corn and hay. We didnt know they needed vaccines untill now so we are going to get that done soon.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you have a coccidia problem. Also they are probably mineral deficient if you don't have a good loose goat mineral out for them.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have loose mineral for them. Can they still grow if it is a coccidia problem?

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
They can if you get the coccidia under control. I would have a fecal done on a few of your worst girls and go from there.

I don't know enough about silage to know if that was part of your problem too.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just started feeding the siliage a few months ago. How can I get that under control. Im new to goats so thank you very much for all your help

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
I'd first get the fecal done to verify any parasites. We are diagnosing on the internet and not physically looking at your goats.

If the fecal shows coccidia, then get Sulmet or DiMethox. I would drench each goat individually to make sure they get the proper dosage. 1cc per 5 lbs day 1 and 1cc per 10 lbs days 2-5. Depending on how bad the coccidia is, I would do it again in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will it hurt them if I give it to them even if they dont have it? Just to make sure. How do I get a fecal test?

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Take a poo sample to the vet, they will test it, make sure, you include worms and cocci testing.

If you treat them and they do not have it ,but, have worms, you have wasted that time, on the wrong issue and treatment.

How are their gums and lower eyelid coloring. white, pale pink or nice and red?

I would stop feeding the silage, it is possible, it can cause Listeriosis, which is very bad.
Alfalfa is best and will help them grow, if they are worm and cocci free.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They do get alfalfa on top of the siliage. There is a guy around here that milks goats and all he feeds them is siliage and hayliage. When they were babies a few of them had coccidioses we gave them dimethox for a while but we would only put a cap full in thier water?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Goats need to have roughage in the form of browse during the growing season as well as good quality hay..mixed grass, alfalfa, timothy/clover when the growing season is done. Alfalfa pellets help with added nutrition.
Giving only corn doesn't do much for them as far as balanced nutrition... if it's not been crimped, cracked or steamed they can't process it.

As far as the treatment you did with the DiMethox, adding it to water and not giving it according to weight in individual doses usually does no good to rid the one with the infection.
Feeding that many goats to add weight and condition can be over whelming, I'd start the ones needing it most on a 16% goat feed and add in dry beet pulp shreds.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I would consider switching to ALL free choice alfalfa, a good loose goat mineral like Sweet Licks Meat Maker, and grain. A 16-18% protein mix should be good. They should get at least 1 lb per 100 lbs of body weight, but if they need more weight, you could bump up to 1.5 lbs or 2 lbs. Ground flax seed and safflower oil also help. You can supplement with something like Calf Manna. It is high protein and great for weight gain. Same with the grain. Start with 1/2 lb per 100 lbs of body weight, and if they aren't showing improvment after 2-3 weeks, bump up their ration. Have a fecal run for worms and cocci, because those can really run a goat into the ground... Is anyone have loose poop? Are eyelids and gums nice bright pink or red?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
A handful or two of black oil sunflower seeds would be beneficial, too.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only thing I have avalible to feed them is corn (grinded), corn siliage, hayliage, soybean meal, alfalfa mixed with grass hay, and minerals and salt,. Could anyone tell me how if all these things I should be feeding them morning and night? Any help/advice is as appreciated :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Do you not have a feed store around? It would be hard to get them to satisfactory condition with just the alfalfa/grass hay mix. I would do the hay, minerals, and salt right now.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I agree with Pam. Corn is more of a treat, it will not help with weight gain or milk production, etc.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts