The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 weathers as pets. I think that’s how you spell it!
I am so confused on what to feed them. I’ve read so many different things that has completely different advice and now I’m just confused.
Right now I’m feeding them a mix of free choice alfalfa and coastal hay. I have medicated feed but only give a handful to each because there’s no chart on the back of the bag that tells how much to feed. I give minerals and free choice baking soda as well. I put apple cider vinegar in their water. I also give them a hand full of goat balancer. ??
Ages of my goats are 3 and 5 months. I’ve read NO GRAINS. Also I have one that is really thin. He was thin when I got him and is still having trouble gaining weight. The other 2 are fine. Please help narrow down all of the confusing advice on goat feed. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
I have 3 weathers as pets. I think that’s how you spell it!
I am so confused on what to feed them. I’ve read so many different things that has completely different advice and now I’m just confused.
Right now I’m feeding them a mix of free choice alfalfa and coastal hay. I have medicated feed but only give a handful to each because there’s no chart on the back of the bag that tells how much to feed. I give minerals and free choice baking soda as well. I put apple cider vinegar in their water. I also give them a hand full of goat balancer. ??
Ages of my goats are 3 and 5 months. I’ve read NO GRAINS. Also I have one that is really thin. He was thin when I got him and is still having trouble gaining weight. The other 2 are fine. Please help narrow down all of the confusing advice on goat feed. Thanks

You want the calcium to phosperous ratio to be 2:1 or 3:1. They do not need the soda... they male their own bicarb a d by giving it free choice you are inhibiting their natural rumen function. Soda drenches are for a bloated goat. The feed.. you are not giving much at a handful but we give our guys alfalfa pellet i stead of grain. You can try shredded beet pulp for the one who is thin. I suggest you get a fecal and have cocci included in it. That way you know he does not have a worm or cocci load keeping him from gaining. Also with keeping wethers it is wise to keep ammonium chloride on hand in case you ever need it for stones.

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
A fecal would be a great idea to be sure everyone's in healthy range.
Adult wethers only need the hay/alfalfa mix, but since these boys are young..a quality goat pellet wouldn't hurt. Check to be sure ca: phosphorus ratio is at least 2:1. A quality loose mineral is needed. Put a little out daily. And I agree..no free choice baking soda. It not only effect their own production but can interfere with Ammonium chloride and increase chance of stones.
If your feed pellet does not already have Ammonium Chloride in it. Grab a bag and use for these boys to help prevent urinary calculi.
Do you know how young they were when banded?

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,103 Posts
The younger, growing goats will need feed until they are a little older. Try to find one that isn't medicated if possible and stay away from textured (sweet) feed. Maintaining all feed sources close as possible to the correct calcium to phosphorus ratio helps towards preventing UC.

The way you determine the C to P ratio is by looking at the tag/label, there will be a number for calcium that shows the minimum and maximum %. (example only) * Calcium (Min) 14.00% - Calcium (Max) 16.80%, so approximately 15.50% calcium. Phosphorus (Min) 8.00% >15.50 divided by 8.00 = 1.94:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio. The feed and goat balancer will have the information somewhere on the bag.

Now for the hay: Costal Bermuda has an approximate C to P ratio of 2.7:1 and Alfalfa has an approximate C to P ratio of 5.3:1. >2.7 + 5.3 = 8.0 divided by 2 and the C to P ratio is 4.0:1 Straight Costal Bermuda would be closer to the correct C to P ration than the mixed bale hay.

In addition to water with apple cider vinegar, or any other type water with an additive, also provide clean fresh plain water as well. Wethers need to drink as much water as you can possibly encourage to help keep the urinary tract flushed out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A fecal would be a great idea to be sure everyone's in healthy range.
Adult wethers only need the hay/alfalfa mix, but since these boys are young..a quality goat pellet wouldn't hurt. Check to be sure ca: phosphorus ratio is at least 2:1. A quality loose mineral is needed. Put a little out daily. And I agree..no free choice baking soda. It not only effect their own production but can interfere with Ammonium chloride and increase chance of stones.
If your feed pellet does not already have Ammonium Chloride in it. Grab a bag and use for these boys to help prevent urinary calculi.
Do you know how young they were when banded?
They were just banded last Friday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts