The Goat Spot Forum banner

what should I vaccinate my goats with

11K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  ksalvagno 
#1 ·
What should I vaccinate my nannies with before breeding them for the fitst time? And then what to vaccinate their kids with and at what age

#2 ·
Many worm their goats before breeding season, since its a stressful time
selenium for the ladies and recently learned not for the boys until after breeding season is over...guess it slows the swimmers ;)

CD&T is good to give 2 months prior to delivery, to have anitbodies in the milk

after kidding I worm mom, again, the stress...babies get selenium vit e gel and nutra drench...:D

#3 ·
I choose not to vaccinate my goats. The preservatives in the vaccines make me leery, especially since we are drinking their milk and eating their meat. I do not feed my kids grain, which helps prevent over-eaters, and I do have the CD anti-toxin and the tetanus anti-toxin on hand in case of emergency. Even if you vaccinate, it is still wise to have the anti-toxins on hand.

This is a personal choice of mine, each breeder has to do what they feel is best for their goats. After quite a bit of research, I feel that while vaccination is a GREAT gift, sometimes it is overused, leading to health issues. I think the biggest problems are the preservatives in the vaccines, and vaccinating for too many things at once, overloading a young immune system.

I would encourage you to research and do what you are most comfortable with, and what is best for your herd's particular needs. :)

#6 ·
So u dont worm them
Oh yes, I do worm them! Worming and vaccinating are different. :)

I actually use Fir Meadow's GI Soother and DWorm A. I've been very happy with it. On top of keeping them in great condition, I've actually treated cocci with it, something I didn't think you could really do herbally. It was pretty cool.

If I didn't deworm herbally, I would run a fecal, and see which worms I'm dealing with. Then I would use the best chemical for the particular worms on my farm. :)

#15 ·
Yep, totally understand! The problem is, if you worm them without knowing what worms they have, that may cause the worms to become resistant to deworming. Safeguard is still good against some worms, but not as effective as it used to be, sadly. Do you know what worms are more prominent in your area? In NJ, safeguard wouldn't work too well for me because I mainly deal with Barberpole and coccidia.

#16 ·
Yep, totally understand! The problem is, if you worm them without knowing what worms they have, that may cause the worms to become resistant to deworming. Safeguard is still good against some worms, but not as effective as it used to be, sadly. Do you know what worms are more prominent in your area? In NJ, safeguard wouldn't work too well for me because I mainly deal with Barberpole and coccidia.
I agree on what you said! Too many people are worming and giving antibiotics, willy nilly without knowing what they are dealing with. Soon, no wormer will work and the antibiotics will be ineffective. Then we will all be in a heap of trouble!

All goats have parasites, it all depends on what the parasite load is and the stress level of that particular goat! (kidding is stressful, as is traveling and sometimes, breeding). Doing a fecal test, or having the vet do it is probably the best way, so the parasites don't become more resistant!

#18 ·
Sometimes your dog vet will run the fecal for a nominal fee if you drop it off (my goat vet only charges $10)....

I did have another query though--

I have one little wether who we are reworming, (vet said to do everyone) and then we will run another fecal....
He is the only one that has the pale eyelids and just seems skinny and not thriving.... everyone else is looking pretty good these days....

if you get a goat that seems more affected by worms then the others what do you do besides getting rid of it?

#19 ·
Work on building up their immune system. Make sure he is getting minerals. I have been using Replamin Plus on my girls and I'm really liking the results. They get 5cc once every other week. If they were not doing well, I would do once a week.

Look into herbs. There are plenty of herbs out there that help build the immune system. Fir Meadow has one for building the immune system.

For doing your own fecals - look on Fiasco Farm website. There should be a list of what you need to get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.