The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Edit: Accidentally posted without finishing my questions!)

Hello! Silly question, I know. But I’m getting ready to breed my doe soon, and before I do any of that I want to make sure she’s as healthy as possible.

How much should she weigh before being bred? Right now she seems a little chubby, and I'm not sure how to make her lose weight. We’ve been feeding them free choice hay and minerals as well as about a handful of goat pellets 2-3 times a day. She is also getting milked, so add on the ration from that. Weve been trying to feed them less pellet, so down to only 1-2 handfuls.

What should we prepare to do before breeding? We’re going to worm her and trim hooves, but is there anything else?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,675 Posts
Generally you want to look at percentage of adult size and current body condition score. You generally want at least 60% of how large they will be as an adult and I like my does a body condition score of 3-4 before breeding. At a year and a half she's probably reached that sixty percent, unless she's really small. Here's how to judge BCS if you don't know how:http://www.luresext.edu/sites/default/files/BCS_factsheet.pdf

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Age wise she's perfect do you know how much she weighs? Mine are about 60 and 65 pounds they are on the smaller end!
Last time we weighed her she was a little over 60 pounds, but since then she has gained weight. We’ll have to weigh her again before breeding.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out the BCS that was posted... do you have any pics! We love pics here .... she sounds like she's at a good weight!
Of course! Thank you! She’s a bit scruffy right now because we’re working on some deficiencies, but this is Luna. My personal worry is that she looks a bit wide, but I have no other goats her age to compare to!
Vertebrate Mammal Wallaby Fawn Grass
Eye Working animal Grass Dog breed Fawn

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
She's beautiful ! She's not too wide, my girl Sapphire has a big belly, although right now she could be pregnant! This is when I first got her, she's about 4 though... some just have a wider belly!
Fawn Terrestrial animal Tail Snout Fur

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She's beautiful ! She's not too wide, my girl Sapphire has a big belly, although right now she could be pregnant! This is when I first got her, she's about 4 though... some just have a wider belly! View attachment 213398
Thank you! And congratulations, good luck with kidding if she is pregnant!
Tree Fawn Dog breed Goat Working animal
Fence Working animal Sheep Sheep Fawn

these are some pictures of her before when she wasn’t as wide. Do you think she was underweight then, or are both healthy looking? These photos were also months back so she was a bit younger.

·
8,495 Posts
Not over weight at all. It looks like healthy rumens- How do the spines feel? Are there fat rolls along the ribs? A lot of times, the big stomachs (rumans)
make people think that the goat is overweight. Are they active and eating, drinking and pooping well? You should run a fecal and check the eyes for the
Famacha score (to rule out any barber pole worms), trim feet, etc. (like you posted) before breeding. You have nice looking does.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not over weight at all. It looks like healthy rumens- How do the spines feel? Are there fat rolls along the ribs? A lot of times, the big stomachs (rumans)
make people think that the goat is overweight. Are they active and eating, drinking and pooping well? You should run a fecal and check the eyes for the
Famacha score (to rule out any barber pole worms), trim feet, etc. (like you posted) before breeding. You have nice looking does.
Thank you! Very appreciated. No fat along the ribs, I can feel her spine fine but it’s not too boney. Apparently I was just over worried, lol! Active, drinking, eating, etc all nicely.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts