The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been feeding our rat terrier, blue heeler and great Pyrenees the cheapest dog food they have at the feed store. We have been feeding our mini aussie science diet. I don't know what we should be feeding our dogs. Would Diamond Pet Foods work. Or switch them all to science diet? I would like a brand with no grain, no chicken by products or bone meal or no corn syrup.

Thanks! Cade

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
if you're looking for kibble, then I would suggest something holistic that would cover your requirements. you may have to shop around and see what your dogs like best. some don't sit well with some dogs.....

I personally feed our dogs raw diet. they do very well on it.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
btw - when your dog is on raw diet, their poop doesn't really smell. they tend to dry up, look like fossils, and turn into a powder.

·
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our dogs will eat anything. Any kind of food. We are looking for kibble. We would have to drive all the way over to PetCo if we want an expensive brand. Does anyone recommend a brand(s)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
After I lost my dog to lymphoma, I did a lot of research. There's a lot of junk in a lot of dog foods that you wouldn't imagine they would put in there! My next dog will be fed raw, or the best kibble I can find. From the research I have done, when dogs are fed raw they live longer, have less tooth and digestion issues, and have less instances of cancer. Check out Rita the Naked Pit Bull on facebook -- her caretaker feeds her raw, and has been very helpful when I messaged her with a few questions and concerns. :)

For kibble, unfortunately the good stuff is the more expensive stuff.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
We have been feeding our rat terrier, blue heeler and great Pyrenees the cheapest dog food they have at the feed store. We have been feeding our mini aussie science diet. I don't know what we should be feeding our dogs. Would Diamond Pet Foods work. Or switch them all to science diet? I would like a brand with no grain, no chicken by products or bone meal or no corn syrup.

Thanks! Cade
Check out Blue Buffalo or Iams Eukanuba Premium Performance. I have no experience with Blue Buffalo, although I have read good things about it. I fed my dogs the Premium Performance and it did very well for them. I am sure there are other good foods, too, but I don't know what they are. Might also google dog food and see what you find. Another option would be to talk to your dog's vet.

·
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check out Blue Buffalo or Iams Eukanuba Premium Performance. I have no experience with Blue Buffalo, although I have read good things about it. I fed my dogs the Premium Performance and it did very well for them. I am sure there are other good foods, too, but I don't know what they are. Might also google dog food and see what you find. Another option would be to talk to your dog's vet.
I looked at Blue Buffalo and that stuff is 40-50 dollars! The vet should be coming out this week to give the goats CAE tests and I will ask him what he recommends then.

·
Registered
637 Posts
What do you have on hand to supplement with?
I can feel your pain on what to feed, and our 3 dogs are pretty big (I see that you have a great pyreenes)-- we have a Bernese Mt dog, giant schnauzer, and a great pyr/ anatolian puppy--
Raw is best, but for me too expensive (unless we start slaughtering some goats which are not capable of doing at this time)...
Also not a huge believer in grain free, as unless you are buying the top brands that come in @ $3 per POUND, they just substitute things like potatoe and sweet potate or cheap pea protein for alittle easily digestible carb like brown rice (which I am fine with ) and charge more for the bag....
Science Diet has really really cheap ingredients for a not cheap food (I was so mad at my DH for bringing a bag home from the Vet for our senior dog, $20 for like 10lbs and it was 18% protein and corn, my chicken feed has better ingredients)...
There is alot of contreversy around Diamond, d/t recalls and people losing their dogs.
We always fed a non Diamond brand--
Solid Gold-- for the last 20 yrs and never worried about it...
(At one point they did use the same plant as Diamond, but I never really worried about it)...
I used to supplement with raw eggs and as many raw bones, chicken parts, alittle ground beef as I could,
but chickens are in moult these days, and we are cutting back on alot of things,
so its rawy meaty bones once a week, and we give them raw goats milk along with their dry food (have Not found a comparable dry dog food to the solid gold so its that, mixed in with some Acana ($80 a bag but I got it half off ) ....

Other more reasonable brands I have heard people mention is the Tractor Supply 4Health brands, and I hear great things about Fromm as well, but they are just as pricey as Sold Gold, so for me I am just sticking to what I know best...

Sorry thats my long winded ode to... Solid Gold.....
Check out Dogfoodadvisor.com
and you can rate the brands you are thinking of....

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
It has been a while since I bought it but it isn't cheap. Any of the grain free dog foods are expensive. However you do feed less of it than regular dog food.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I looked at Blue Buffalo and that stuff is 40-50 dollars! The vet should be coming out this week to give the goats CAE tests and I will ask him what he recommends then.
So is the Eukanuba - when I was buying it it was $48.00/50 lb bag. Good food is not cheap.

·
Registered
637 Posts
So is the Eukanuba - when I was buying it it was $48.00/50 lb bag. Good food is not cheap.
Actually less than a dollar a pound that is pretty good.
Where were you getting that? (I could use a bigger bag of dogfood)...

Just on the grainfree thing, make sure grain free actually means more meat/ animal protein products, not just switching out grain calories for carb calories.....(ie corn, wheat for potatoes, peas)... cause then they are just charging you more for no reason....

·
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GoatCrazy, some Iams brands are pretty cheap. Didn't you recommend those? If only they came in bigger bags!

·
14,615 Posts
We feed Canidae. No grains. Cheaper at feed store than pet store.
Would rather do raw but like some of you, don't have access.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
When I lived it Georgia PetSmart carried it. After I moved back to Wyoming I had to drive to Wheatland(about 40 miles) to find it at first, then Murdocks in Scottsbluff(30 miles) started carrying it so I got it there. I have no idea what it costs now, though. I haven't had dogs in 3 or 4 years.

·
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So does anyone recommend Diamond? It's the cheapest and from what I have HEARD it is pretty healthy.

·
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We feed Canidae. No grains. Cheaper at feed store than pet store. Would rather do raw but like some of you, don't have access.
It was at your feed store!? I don't even think our local feeds for carries it! If they do that. Is it a kibble feed?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
the vet would likely suggest something that he has in stock...that's what most vets usually do, and that way they make money (cynical, but unfortunately true). the grain free/holistic brands are certainly not cheap.

do you have a butcher near by? if you look hard enough, you can get raw meaty bones really cheap. I mean, you're not feeding tenderloin to the animals. if you have a butcher near by, ask for the off cuts. I used to be able to buy lamb rib racks for $1/lb, and that was in a city. you can also ask if they have any freezer burned meat that they'll sell for cheap for animal consumption. if you have a fish monger near you, you can ask for off cuts of fish too. I used to be able to get salmon backs and heads for just over $1/lb.

for Christmas, my dogs get marrow bone. keeps them busy for hours. best is when they bury the bones and you find it a few months later......

here's a great website on feeding raw: http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

when I do feed kibble (like when i'm away and someone's dog sitting), my dog used to get Fromm, and my current dogs would get, I believe it's called "Taste of the Wild".

1 - 20 of 40 Posts