what size? and anything else?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by HoosierShadow, Dec 20, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I want to look for a doggie sweater x2 I can use in case I need them to help keep the kids warm when they come. Since I have boer/boer percentages, and our smallest kids were 7lbs in July, I was thinking I'd need something that would fit a 7lb-11lb kid? I've never bought anything like this before, so any idea what size I need?

Anything else I should get to help keep them warm besides a heat lamp? We won't use anything unless it's needed of course, but I don't want the cold getting to the babies.

I thought about just buying some fleece material and trying to make my own, but I am out of time for that :(

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    For my 3-5 lb mini kids I use the small size dog sweaters from Walmart, they were around $6 each. I only used them after the kids were totally dry and fluffed up...a very brisk rubbing with an old bath towel works great. I also only put them on if it was going to be under 15* at night, took them off once the outside temp was around 20* and rubbed them all over again to fluff their coat, once they started bouncing around they could generate their own heat.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Ive never done lamps or sweaters but you can cut the sleeves off an old sweatshirt diagonally & voila..no expense :wink:

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much! I just worry about everything, and wanted to have my bases covered with the 'just in case' stuff.
    Before I buy anything I'll see what we have as far as old sweaters go. I have a 4yo so she might have something that would work perfectly :) PLus I have a bag of stuff I never donated to Goodwill that somehow ended up in the shed? So I'll dig through it :)
    I want them to be as natural as possible, so I won't even bother them unless I feel they need it.

5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I went to walmart today but they didn't have the doggie sweaters, just the 'fashion' clothes for dogs...but OMG if I had a doeling, I might have to go back for one of those pink w/black polka dots vinyl jacket and matching cap... :laugh:

I bought 2 fleece shirts in the infant section size 18months. I will cut the sleeves off, sew the edges, and probably take in the belly section a little so it doesn't hang down, or well I'll figure something out. Main thing is I got something we can use if we need it :)

BTW, Walmart didn't have the ones I bought on sale <$3.50 each>, but a lot of the stores are having clearance sales on that kind of stuff, so if anyone else needs something like this, you could find some deals. I know Kmart was having a good sale, but not sure when I cam going back into town, otherwise I would have waited and bought mine there.

6. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I've also heard someone mention the use of tube socks & cutting--don't know if the larger breed kids would fit but some of the smaller breeds should.

7. Hush Hills Fainters

Hush Hills Fainters New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    I know we all have soo much extra time...but get out you knitting needles and crochet hooks... :dance:

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    LOL Well I wish I could but I don't know how to knit LOL

Karen - very good idea! My buck's kids are averaging 7-10lbs though, but great idea for small breeds!
    The breeder we got our buck from had does kid the past month and in Oct one had triplets and they have been good sized kids.

9. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I bought leg warmers on sale today just in case I need to put something on one.