The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process and building a barn for my kids show goats and can't decide how big. We are gonna have a about 6 show goats but may getting a small breeding stock of boer goats. I am think about a 16x16 or a 24x16. I am think at least an area to setup my trimming stand and store feed and the rest a open area. They have outside area also

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
You'll want to start mapping out all that you want in the barn. Do you want kidding stalls, a storage area, hay storage, grooming area, etc.? Depending on what you want in the barn, your budget, and just how big you're willing to go all goes into effect. I don't think there's any "right size" for everyone because each person has different wants and needs when it comes to creating a barn that will effect the size.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Well, the recommended guidelines for shelter is a minimum of 10 sq ft per goat, with 15 being better. Kidding pens need to be at least 4' X 4', and I prefer 5' X 5'. Hay storage should be big enough to accomodate at least a few month's worth of small squares if that is what you use, big rounds or squares could be stacked on pallets and tarped. My grain storage is 10' X 12' and works pretty good for everything except totes - those are stored in the shop. I hope this helps! :)

·
14,615 Posts
No one has ever said, "I wish my barn were smaller".
If you have moveable panels your potential is limitless.
Right before kidding, each stall has 3 or 4 bales of straw ready to be cut open.
Don't forget a hay loft. And plenty of outlets up high.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts