The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are first timers getting 3 or 4 NDs this spring! We are looking at the round polydomes for their housing but they come in two different sizes, standard 7' and the mini 6'. How many goats will each of these accommodate? I'm leaning toward just getting the standard size since it is only a foot bigger and we may in the future end up with 6 or 7 goats in our heard...thoughts? Thank you!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I use Polydomes and I love them! I agree that bigger is better, especially if you're planning to eventually expand. That said, smaller domes are easier to move around, and whether you get big ones or small ones, you will almost certainly need to get a second once you get 5 or more goats. If you have to get two domes anyway, you might prefer the smaller size to save costs. It's not that the big domes aren't big enough to handle 5 ND's, it's that your dominant goat(s) may block the door and not let the subordinate ones share. I have one goat that needs his own shed, and it wouldn't matter if the thing were as big as a barn--no one is getting through that door when he's in there.

On the other hand, the best thing about the larger domes is that they're big enough for me to go in and clean without having to move it (I have to crouch, but at least I fit). I've also delivered a lot of kids in those domes and I probably would have a hard time doing this in the smaller domes, especially since my husband also comes in to help with delivery. Even the big domes get kind of crowded with two people, our milk stools, the kidding box, water buckets, and a goat.

A bigger dome will definitely fit more goats in a pinch. FIFTEEN crowded into one dome last year during a sudden hailstorm :D

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts