The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old boer doe .who is severly under weight. I have treated her for worms i go down to feed tonight and she is majorly swollen. Her jaw and face, its like under her mouth its sqaushy and quiet large... know idea what to do, i tries to upload pics but cant from my phone /:

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
sounds like it could be bottle jaw...google bottle jaw and and see pix...What wormer are you using? what dose and how many times...Bottle jaw is caused by Barpole worms and Liver fluke

Check her lower inner eye lids..Im sure you will find the pale or white...which means she is anemic..

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wormed with cydsaten, not for sure on dose got it from the vet, 2 weeks ago. She is still anemic, some one on here told me it would take a while to get color bsck.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
yes it takes soooooo long to get over it. I would suggest giving red cell, goathiker gave me the does for it but cant find her message, maybe someone can give you it. I had a doe with bottle jaw, it took so much out of her, you need to not only the red cell but get her some good feed with high protine in it. Being anemic is very hard on their in sides. I also gave my doe vit. b shots, dont know if it really helped but figured why not.

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
When treating goat with a heavy load of worms its a good idea to treat 3 times 10 days apart then once more in 30 days...Bottle jaw is caused by either barpole or liver fluke..Valbazen and Ivomec plus are the only two wormers that work on Liver fluke. A fecal will tell you which you are dealing with, however if you can not for some reason get a fecal done then switch to one of these wormers and worm as mentioned above..

I Treat anemia as follows
Red Cell 6 cc per 100# double dose day one..treat daily for a week then once a week until you see a nice color return to her eyes..you can also give Iron shots instead of red cell if you like for faster results...
Vitamin B-12 injection help her rebuild her red blood cells ..this is RX
High protein feed,alfalfa and green leaves also help in re building the red blood cells..
It take a long time to recover from anemia..so be patient and keep up the treatment...

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I would just rather treat her for worms, then get a fecal since she is showing symptoms. What is the dose of Ivomec plus ?

I think my tractor supply only sells pellets of red cell?... She gets calf mana, alfalfa, and green leaves every day :) I wish she would get to feeling better!

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
Ivomec plus is 1 cc per 40# sub Q...it stings to expect a reaction..it takes time to mend..

Ive not used the red cell pellets...hopefully she will eat them..:D

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made a mistake on red cell lol, I am tired :)
How many shots of vit. B?

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
lol..Its been a long week for sure lol

B-12 is daily...4 cc per 100# This is from a vet..if you cant get it see if you can fine B complex PLUS.which has the extra B 12 that she will need

·
Registered
30,637 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you very much, happy bleats :)!!

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the vet gave me the wrong medicine, glad I checked here before I gave it to her!

I am going to get Ivomec plus Cattle injectable, how do I need to give it to her ? orally, or injected ?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
anyone ?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, I know the dose, I just want to make sure the Cattle injectable is Oral for goats.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts