What the heck is going on?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lily6, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Lily6

Lily6 Member

Feb 18, 2020
    New York
    I have this Nigerian Dwarf doe that I bought about 8 months ago. I put her with my buck in early December for a May kidding. I did see my buck breed her in December. The month of May went by and she wasn’t showing many signs of kidding (she was getting rounder and her udder was filling but not a lot) so I figured she took on her second heat cycle.

Fast forward to now and she’s still “pregnant”. I had the vet out in June and she said she was perfectly healthy and to wait because I wasn’t positive on the due date (the buck wasn’t separated until early March). She gave her an ultrasound and said she was pregnant, but didn’t say that she saw any babies.

Two things that make this weird....

One is that this buck she was with bred 3 other does the same day I put them with him. They all had healthy babies with no problems very near their due dates.

The second is that her udder is massive! It’s not mastitis yet (at least I don’t think so because it’s not hard or causing her pain), but it’s looked like that for 2 weeks at least! She’s having trouble moving around with it and it scrapes on the ground at times

Like I said I’ve had the vet out and they couldn’t do anything for her then so I called today and they told me not to worry about it. They didn’t want to come out (because she’s not dying or in extreme pain) now so it looks like I’m waiting another week or two until they will come out if they will at all.

This is driving me crazy and I have no idea what I can do for her. She’s not in pain necessarily, but she’s uncomfortable in the heat and I’m afraid she’s going to catch her udder on something sharp and cut it. What do you think? Am I just being paranoid or freaking out over nothing?

(Side note: Yes she has an extra teat, I didn’t realize when I bought her. Also the lady I bought her from said that the guy SHE bought her from claimed she has kidded before, but I’m not sure how true that is)

F1670968-C5DB-4901-AFFE-3B02388A6828.jpeg D3B9100E-502A-44E1-B3F7-8B8CD34FAF7E.jpeg B7B000AE-11B5-4A15-BE05-C19A0B54E984.jpeg 86785C06-7335-45A4-8668-8AD4AD170623.jpeg 22CE42BB-517D-4C69-A7B9-C74B5CCD1287.jpeg

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    When was the last (most recent) date she was bred?

Moers kiko boars and Lily6 like this.

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Can you feel any babies moving? Ask the vet to do an ultrasound. She does look preg. What would be the latest date she could possibly be due? Could the buck have gotten with her and someone forgot to tell you?

If she kids, make sure they don't try and suck that extra teat. Tape it off as they can starve to death, momma thinks they are eating and cuts them off, they aren't and starve.

4. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    If the buck was taken out early March, she would be due early August. Right now. She looks it, LOL

Moers kiko boars, MadHouse and Lily6 like this.
  5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I think babies for sure. When she kids, she may need milked out some as she is very full. Also looks to have a lopsided udder, the right side is more full than the left, so try to milk out to even it up, and make sure kids are nursing from both sides. Save the colostrum you milk out in case you need to bottle feed for any reason.

6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    At 4 months along those cotyledons take everything over and it’s SUPER hard to find kids threw it all with a ultrasound. I know this for a fact lol I think out of 8 late term does I have only seen 1 kid. So she is bred and that explains why the vet couldn’t tell you more then that.
    Yes she can catch her udder on things and cut herself. That’s why when a doe is like this it’s usually recommended not to breed any more. And I am NOT being judgmental and nasty when I am saying that ;) I had a girl like yours and I bred her. But it was a pain having to keep her in a pen that had soft bedding only not out and about in the field because every time sure cut her self it was bad and risked mastitis. But just try to keep her in a area where these is not sticks or anything else to catch herself on. When the kids come milk down. When they are that full it’s very heavy and being close to the ground like that the kids can get under and push her udder and teat up to nurse, although the teats pointing forward is going to help them out. But also she is like this because she has bad attachment, the more weight the worse it can get. Anyways when the kids come your probably going to have to help them out more then a doe with a nice tight udder. If they do have issues latching on at first they will learn how to but you just need to help them out.
    Who knows why some take the first go around and why some don’t. She might have slipped the kids the first month or two, or maybe she didn’t much like the buck until the last minute. It’s hard to say really. It seems like for me there is always one that seemed to be way off from the others, it’s annoying but it is what it is, she’s bred and that’s the important thing

7. Lily6

Lily6 Member

Feb 18, 2020
    New York
    Well I’m not exactly sure. Like I said I witnessed her being bred early December, but that obviously wasn’t when it took. I tried to track her heat cycles, but she’s one of the quiet ones and I could never tell.

The buck was taken out the first week of March so that would be the last possible time for him to bred her. Therefore making her due date the first week of August.

8. Lily6

Lily6 Member

Feb 18, 2020
    New York
    I have not been able to feel babies moving. The vet did do an ultrasound and never told me if she saw any babies. She said it wasn’t uncommon to not see them if it’s late in the pregnancy.

He definitely didn’t get out (I’m here everyday and take care of everything) and they don’t share any fences so it wasn’t an accident that way.

The extra test is very tiny and relatively high up, but I will watch it to make sure. Thank you!

9. Lily6

Lily6 Member

Feb 18, 2020
    New York
    Haha she’s looked like that for weeks!!

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  10. Lily6

Lily6 Member

Feb 18, 2020
    New York
    Well she was an impulse buy lol. Also I am new to goats, but I am wiser now and know better. This is the first and probably the last time I will breed her. I didn’t get much information about her because the lady I bought her from rescued the doe from a guy who didn’t know about goats.

I will put her in one of my larger kidding pens and wait it out I guess? I feel bad and want to be doing something more for her, but I guess I’m stuck lol.

Jessica84 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  11. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    If you pulled the Buck the last week of March..you can have till August 15th. The 150 days is an estimate..it can go to 160 days. Each doe is different. Just watch for a mucus string..and keep her seperated. It should be soon now. Please keep us informed. Good luck & happy kidding!

happybleats, Lily6 and Sfgwife like this.
  12. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh I totally get it! My doe was one of the first does I got and I had no clue it would be a issue at all. I never regretted buying her, I adored her, and I was beyond thrilled with the kids I got out of her, I just got to the point i just felt really bad for her, like your doing. But we learn as we go ;)
    Make sure she has enough room to get exercise. I really do believe that exercise is so important for pregos especially at the end. But hopefully she releases those hostages soon for you

13. Lily6

Lily6 Member

Feb 18, 2020
    New York
    Thank you very much. I want to say that it was March 10th that I pulled him from the pen. I’ll have to double check, but that is what I remember.

14. Lily6

Lily6 Member

Feb 18, 2020
    New York
    Ugh yes I have two impulse buys that were not very smart, but they are very sweet does and needed a home. They will just live out their days babysitting the weaned babies and I’ll focus on my registered girls. Thank you all!

Moers kiko boars and Jessica84 like this.
  15. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    You might make her a bra of sorts to support her udder. There are many ideas online on how to do that. A nursing bra can be beneficial once she kids. Basically a bra with holes for teats to show. Training babies may take a week or so..but they can learn to scoop the teats up. Hang in there..wont be long now.

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Very good advice by all.