The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so :confused: What the H..E..double hockey sticks is going on! Annabelle my 3 year old 1/2 Saanen 1/4 Boer & Nubian started aborting 4 days ago she was 4-5 weeks pregnant. I've checked on her regularly every 2 hours except at night. I'm trying not to be a 'new parent' but in truth I am and I have SO many questions.

Today when I went out to check on her and clean her. I noticed her utter was filling not a huge amount but it's a two handed utter now. I'm guessing it's normal but again I'm going to ask to make sure I don't want to make any new parent mistakes (taking her to the vet for nothing or not taking her for something that's bad)

Vet no vet? Could it be that one kid died and the other is alive? She's kidded twice before and both were singles. I figured she wouldn't come into milk since she wasn't far along. Also I didn't breed her I have no idea if she could have been farther along I'm taking her previous owners word for it.
Again thank you all for your patience.:)

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
Her udder filling could just be from hormones. At 4-5 weeks along, you wouldn't see an udder forming even if she were still pregnant. When they abort...any and all kids will die anyway. If you are unsure and can afford it, you can always take her in for a quick checkup...nothing wrong with that. For me personally, I wouldn't take her in from the sounds of it.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Are you absolutely positive she aborted? I thought one of my doe's aborted because she was bleeding from her vulva. Come to find out she did not abort, a well placed horn from another goat made a small cut and thats where the blood was coming from. She went on to deliver healthy twin bucklings.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm not positive but my gut (that I've developed in the 4 weeks of being a goat owner:eek: ) tells me that she's aborting. I only have two does and both are disbudded.

UNLESS...The only thing is that we put a hurt hen in with our girls to heal (the other hens tore off her comb) Anyways she was put in there the 19th around noon and was locked up in the goat barn that night (and every night since) and the next morn Annabelle was bleeding. At first I thought the hen might have something to do with it but Annabelle bled for 4 days. I looked for visible cuts and haven't seen anything and unfortunately this line of thinking is making me hopeful.

I can't imagine a chicken cutting her in that area and that bad OR continuing to peck her and re-injuring her. I don't know I might be wrong :shrug:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
She dripped bright red blood that was rather copious when she peed. This lasted for about 3 or 4 days and stopped. It started again a week later but I saw the horn being placed. I had chickens in with my goats and they would occasionally peck at something they saw on the goats rear. If your hen is very mobile she could do this as well. I would also look around the pen to see if there is anything she could have cut herself on. Look where she sleeps to see if there is a nail or screw sticking out.

At only 4 weeks bred I really think the doe would have absorbed the pregnancy without bleeding. The doe's uterus doesn't shed the lining/pregnancy as humans do unless much further along.

I would keep watching her for signs of a continuing pregnancy.

If you are seeing udder development she is much further along than 4 weeks and if she were aborting you would see a fetus. Not a very big one but a fetus none the less. Check bedding and all around the pen.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It sounds like our does are doing the same thing. She's not bleeding anymore. The previous owner had a girls pen and a boys pen on opposite ends of her property. When I said that I wanted her the owner put Annabelle and Jasmine in the buck pen January 13. She was in there for 20 days and the owner said she was 'interested' in the buck. Unless Annabelle escaped and the previous owner never told me, she (Annabelle) could be anywhere from 4 to 7 weeks.

My husband did find some screws that he didn't grind down. When she started bleeding on Tuesday that was his first thought.

I attached this pic of her udder. Like I said it's not huge a hand full maybe two it's more noticeable when she walks.

KW Farms said that it could be hormones from aborting. I wonder if it is just hormones how long she'll keep the udder. Any ideas?

What are continuing signs of pregnancy this early? Everything I've read in my books and on the internet jump from breeding day to 3-4 months. It's very hard since I've only had them since Feb 1st. I don't know goats except for what I've read. I've only known my girls pregnant (or not I don't know :shrug:) so I can't compare them to what they were before or to other does since they both could be pregnant.

If you or anyone has 'signs/symptoms' to look for that would be great. I'm flying blind.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
K I reviewed old emails exchanged between the owner and I and Annabelle was in with a Nubian buck earlier sometime possibly in Dec or even Nov she's checking dates for me. The more I watch her the more I think she might be pregnant but it might just be wishful thinking.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
if you doe hurt herself and bled..the chicken would keep pecking the bloody area..making it worse...when you cleaned her up did you look for cuts? If I assume it was a miscarriage I might not look for a cut...?? other thing is wait and see if she begins to show signs of pregnancy still in progress...the not knowing will drive you nuts lol I would try milking her just in case..some goats will begin a fatty udder in the early stages..so that might be what you see....

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
you're looking at the earliest kidding being June 12...this depends when the buck actually mated her so day one in the Pen would be June 12.....I would keep an eye on things but assume she is still pregnant ...her udder looks fine...when she gets really close you will see that baby fill up like a balloon lol..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you're looking at the earliest kidding being June 12...this depends when the buck actually mated her so day one in the Pen would be June 12.....I would keep an eye on things but assume she is still pregnant ...her udder looks fine...when she gets really close you will see that baby fill up like a balloon lol..
I reviewed emails from the previous owner and she did have Annabelle in a pen with a Nubian buck before Christmas (she's getting me actual dates). She wasn't positive she was bred so she put Annabelle in with her dominant La Mancha buck on Jan 13. SOOOO...there is a very real possibility that she was bred earlier, and due sooner.

O AND HAPPY NEWS!!! We found the cut! It was on her tail and all the tail whipping smeared blood onto her girly parts at least that's what we figure but we can see the cut and are treating her. Well kinda as much as she'll let us ;)

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
awesome...glad you found the cut...now we can all breath and wait the long wait for babies in May or June : ) ...: )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.