The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many people have different opinions on this, but what two months between January and June would be best for kidding in Southern Missouri? We are new to the area and don't really know when the weather warms up and when the flies come out. I would like for my does to kid when the weather is relativity nice and the flies are not really out yet. If you live/have experience in southern Missouri, when would this be?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I'm closer to St. Louis, and so far, I try to kid no earlier than April. Even then, the weather is still iffy...you can get frosts and snowstorms, but it's usually not brutally cold. Of course, with spring kidding, you are then dealing with mud and parasites. But so far, I feel that I'd rather do that than kid when the weather could be brutally cold for weeks at a time, and risk losing kids to the cold or dealing with frostbite.

·
Fair-Haven
4,923 Posts
It really depends. Can you be there for kidding, getting babies warms and watching mom around the clock? Cold weather kids are less susceptible to parasites, etc.... but you can't make sure they are getting warm and needed care after birth, go for April or later.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We are in SW Mo. We like kidding in March. It can be cold but not usually brutally cold, ideally mid to late March. We also have heat lamps and are able to pen mamas and babies with access to heat lamps. If you have electric in your barn, that's a great way to go.

The first year we did it the old fashioned way our neighbor told us, heat bricks in the oven, wrap with a towel and put in their sleeping area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts