What time(s) of Day Do You Milk?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by MellonFriend, Sep 24, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Hey, everyone. My does should be ready to breed next month and I have been thinking about what the best daily schedule for milking would be for me. What time or times of day do you like to milk?

Garnet-the-goat and MadHouse like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Whatever times work for you. I milk once a day at 8 am.

3. MellonFriend

I'm just wondering when are people's favorite times to milk. I know it is up to me. :)

MadHouse likes this.
  4. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

This year I'm milking twice a day, at about 6:15 am and 8:00 pm or so. I hate it, but I'm trying to earn milk stars for my does.

Last year I milked AM only. Every year prior to that I've milked PM only. I'm not a morning person, but it turns out that the AM milking is a lot easier for me. Especially this time of year when it's getting dark earlier, it's really nice not to have to worry about milking at the end of the day. AM milking does get you up earlier, but once you're done it's forgotten and you have the rest of the day ahead of you.

Milking twice a day sucks very much and I don't know how so many of you manage :p

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  5. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Active Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    i usually milk at 6 am and pm during the school year. Summer is more relaxed and was either 630 or 730 depending on whether i had to work at night i would milk between 6 and 7. I have a pretty chill attitude towards milking times though

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  6. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I didn’t know you could stray from the “every 12 hours” rule that all the books say one should stick to, so that’s what I am doing. Works for us.
    7 am and 7 pm.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  7. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    7am and 7pm. Unless we don't. ;-)

8. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

We try to milk 12 hours apart, but sometimes it's only 10-11 hours apart. We usually milk 6:30-7:30 AM and 6:30-7:30 PM. ;)

Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  9. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I actually had no idea that was feasible! I would love to start doing that! Right now I'm milking twice a day, am and pm.... but I'd love to transition to once a day. Do you think I'll end up losing milk overall?

10. ksalvagno

Absolutely you will lose milk milking only once a day. You also can't do that with a heavy milker. My girls aren't heavy milkers and I don't need a ton of milk. So it was nice to go to once a day.

MadHouse likes this.
  11. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    The cow gets milked of a mornin after separation. The goats get of a mornin after separation while nursing kids. Then when weaned twice a day. I am not an early riser so mornin milkin is usually bout 8:30 and evening really depends on the time of year it is. It has been 7:30 through summer but the is goin down sooner now so i have been goin out about an hour earlier. Mine get put in the barn at night and come dark they want to be abed.

12. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    When I was milking twice a day it was 6 am and 8 pm just based on my work schedule/kids. I’m now down to once daily in the evening as we’ve started breeding for Feb kids. I’ll dry them off soon.

MadHouse likes this.
  13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I milk every 15 hours. I know that sounds totally stupid, but it works for me! I have done it for 6 years, after I was no longer working at the constructions co. (then it was 4 am and 8 pm) Now it is every 15 and it works out pretty good.

MadHouse likes this.
  14. MellonFriend

So is it not that important to milk every 12 hours? Like some of the other posters I figured that was a rule.

MadHouse likes this.
  15. ksalvagno

Depends on your does. If you have heavy milkers, then you do need to be faithful about milking every 12 hours

MadHouse likes this.
  16. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

If you don't milk your does out every 12 hours EXACTLY, they will explode. It is fact. :p

MadHouse, MellonFriend and Iluvlilly! like this.
  17. MellonFriend

:funnytech:

MadHouse likes this.
  18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Whatever you decide, you have to keep that schedule. 12 hrs, 10, 8, 15 whatever, you cant keep switching around. So, pick what works for you and stick to it as close as possible. Sometimes life gets in the way, but if you have to change your schedule, its better to milk sooner than later. Easier on their udders, too.

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  19. MellonFriend

Thanks everyone for you input. I'm thinking I could probably manage something like 7:00am and 6:00 pm.

Here's another question: what do you do about day light savings time?

MadHouse likes this.
  20. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I was just thinking of asking that question. I won't have any does in milk till spring, but I'm curious!

MellonFriend and MadHouse like this.