The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
This year I'm milking twice a day, at about 6:15 am and 8:00 pm or so. I hate it, but I'm trying to earn milk stars for my does.

Last year I milked AM only. Every year prior to that I've milked PM only. I'm not a morning person, but it turns out that the AM milking is a lot easier for me. Especially this time of year when it's getting dark earlier, it's really nice not to have to worry about milking at the end of the day. AM milking does get you up earlier, but once you're done it's forgotten and you have the rest of the day ahead of you.

Milking twice a day sucks very much and I don't know how so many of you manage :p

·
Registered
266 Posts
i usually milk at 6 am and pm during the school year. Summer is more relaxed and was either 630 or 730 depending on whether i had to work at night i would milk between 6 and 7. I have a pretty chill attitude towards milking times though

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I didn’t know you could stray from the “every 12 hours” rule that all the books say one should stick to, so that’s what I am doing. Works for us.
7 am and 7 pm.

·
Super Moderator
58,836 Posts
Absolutely you will lose milk milking only once a day. You also can't do that with a heavy milker. My girls aren't heavy milkers and I don't need a ton of milk. So it was nice to go to once a day.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
The cow gets milked of a mornin after separation. The goats get of a mornin after separation while nursing kids. Then when weaned twice a day. I am not an early riser so mornin milkin is usually bout 8:30 and evening really depends on the time of year it is. It has been 7:30 through summer but the is goin down sooner now so i have been goin out about an hour earlier. Mine get put in the barn at night and come dark they want to be abed.

·
Registered
842 Posts
When I was milking twice a day it was 6 am and 8 pm just based on my work schedule/kids. I’m now down to once daily in the evening as we’ve started breeding for Feb kids. I’ll dry them off soon.

·
8,161 Posts
I milk every 15 hours. I know that sounds totally stupid, but it works for me! I have done it for 6 years, after I was no longer working at the constructions co. (then it was 4 am and 8 pm) Now it is every 15 and it works out pretty good.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So is it not that important to milk every 12 hours? Like some of the other posters I figured that was a rule.

·
8,161 Posts
Whatever you decide, you have to keep that schedule. 12 hrs, 10, 8, 15 whatever, you cant keep switching around. So, pick what works for you and stick to it as close as possible. Sometimes life gets in the way, but if you have to change your schedule, its better to milk sooner than later. Easier on their udders, too.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for you input. I'm thinking I could probably manage something like 7:00am and 6:00 pm.

Here's another question: what do you do about day light savings time?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts