The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what would you like to add to things like mineral supplements so your goats will consume more? I recently started using a new mineral and the goats are slow to eat it. I have been mixing alfalfa meal, alfalfa pellets, whole oats, and even tried mixing some molasses water to sweeten it up. I was thinking of getting some beet powder to mix with it and see if that helps. any other ideas?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
I'm just wondering what would you like to add to things like mineral supplements so your goats will consume more? I recently started using a new mineral and the goats are slow to eat it. I have been mixing alfalfa meal, alfalfa pellets, whole oats, and even tried mixing some molasses water to sweeten it up. I was thinking of getting some beet powder to mix with it and see if that helps. any other ideas?

thanks!
Mix some of the old mineral in with it. They are only going to lick when they need it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mix some of the old mineral in with it. They are only going to lick when they need it.
Yes, I know. And I have tried that also. It's just that they are "supposed to" consume about 3/4 oz. per day for 75 pound Nigerian Dwarfs, and want to make sure it's as attractive as possible because they hardly touch it if I don't mix it with alfalfa meal or pellets or whole oats.

To avoid having to repeat myself, here's another thread of mine with more info on this https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads...y-dry-matter-consumption.210223/#post-2333841

·
Registered
609 Posts
I can't speak for others but I mix Diamond V yeast at a ratio of 50/50 yeast and mineral. They will go after it for a while and then back off. Their bodies will let them know when they need the minerals and they like the yeast and it's digestive benefits. The mineral keeps them from eating too much yeast but they get the benefits of both by eating it readily when needed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What kind of minerals are you giving them?

I find sweetlix meat maker goats love. You can put a little bit of what you have with it, so you can feed it off. May work.
https://naturalwayminerals.com/dairy-goats

https://naturalwayminerals.com/profile

not sure if you saw this I posted it above, this is an older thread from a couple months ago where I explain more about it: https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads...y-dry-matter-consumption.210223/#post-2333841

Is the mineral high in salt? Sometimes a high salt mineral will make them consume much less.
no, I don't think it's very hi in salt. just a little natural sea salt but not too much

Do you bolus copper if you're experiencing fish tails and rough coat? I have to bolus copper even with free choice minerals. Some of my goats I'm having to bolus quite frequently as they were pretty deficient and I'm having trouble keeping them up.
no, I do not use copper bolus. I never had any problems until this winter. The hay in our area is much lower in nutrient content from the rainy cloudy weather last year and I think that made it noticeable. I was thinking about using copper boluses but decided to try the Natural Way Minerals since the absorption rate is 90 to 95% compared to rock base minerals which are only 5 to 10% usable to the animals.

Before I started the new minerals, I only had one of my dozen goats that started to have a tiny bald spot about the size of a half a green pea on her tail tip. It's been about 2 months since I started these new minerals and the bald spot is growing hair back in. So I think they must be getting all they need with these new minerals since her hair is growing back in. Looks like in another month or two it will be all grown in. And I had one other goat, a buck, that developed a fish tail but it wasn't bald at all, just starting to thin out.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I might have just been getting impatient and overthinking it all.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I find sweetlix meat maker goats love. You can put a little bit of what you have with it, so you can feed it off.
mine love swtlix too, but since they are preggo, they go through about 2 cups of cargill onyx per day:eek:, and barely touch the sweetlix!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts