What to buy Re: BOSS/Beet Pulp

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I usually do my shopping at Tractor Supply.

I am considered adding either BOSS or Beet Pulp to Hope's diet when she is being milked this coming year as she was VERY skinny when I first got her and was milking her. She is a healthy weight now, with a huge tummy full of kids, and I want to KEEP her healthy, even when being milked.

Which is better for this, BOSS or Beet pulp?

I know TS carried the Beet pulp, no big deal. It's the BOSS that confuses me a bit. Does TS carry it? When I did a search on their website, it only came up with bird seed; is that what you buy?

Thanks so much. :grouphug:

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yes BOSS is black oile sunflower seeds. people use it to feed birds. A little of both couldnt hurt. Beet pulp is a fiber product and closer to hay then it is to grain. BOSS would add some protein and fat to her diet.
    beth

3. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i use both as a top dress on there grain. i put a cup of shredded beet pulp/alfalfa pellets & then a cup of boss also. if you can i would use them both.

4. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Tractor Supply has a goat protein / mineral bucket that I'd give her if she needs a boost. It's like a 2 gallon black bucket or something, specifically for goats & wasn't that expensive. My does loved the heck out of it.

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh yes, I have one of those buckets, they lick at it and seem to like it.

She's in good condition now, I just can't help but remember how THIN she became when we first brought her home. I think the stress of being moved away from all her friends except for Uno also had something to do with it, not to mention having to put up with a new goat owner!

I can use both and I may. Thanks for the information. :)

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I was just talking to a friend about a goat that I have that looks like a skeleton and I can not get weight on her no matter what I do - she suggested stuff called Vionate. It is supposed to really help. I know that I am going to be ordering some and trying it - can't hurt!