What to do about a scur???

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Seamussmom, Jun 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Seamussmom

Seamussmom New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Ramona, CA
    Okay I'm a total newbie on goats. I only JUST figured out what a scur was but I think one of my goats has one. He had a big buildup on one of the horns from the disbudding (my record from the seller noted that one was done twice maybe 2 weeks apart) but that has fallen off and underneath is red and forming a bump. Is this a scur and what can I do about it???

Please and thank you for the tips!!! :book:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How old is this goat? When was the disbudding done?

3. Seamussmom

Seamussmom New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Ramona, CA
    He is about 3 months old, he was first disbudded maybe a week and a half after he was born

4. ksalvagno

You could have it reburned. If he is going to be a wether, they probably won't grow back.

5. rusticcitygirl

rusticcitygirl New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    I am new to goats too, but had our first kids this past spring and had to debud them and this is what I was told by the gal who came to my farm to do it...The boys are usually done around 7-10 days after birth, when you can feel little nubs coming up. It is very uncommon for bucks to be completely hornless and have no scurs because they have so much testosterone in their bodies. It is dangerous to mess with their horns after a few weeks old cause they are basically an attachment to their scull and can be fatal if you don't know what you are doing. Vet's do surgery to completely remove the horn when they are older. With the scurs that form later, they usually curl and head back into the goats scull (that's what happened with our first buck) and if you let them continue to grow they will kill the goat. It is best to stay on top of it and trim them very slowly to prevent this from happening at a rate of about 1/2 inch at a time.
    Hope this was helpful :)

6. Seamussmom

Seamussmom New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Ramona, CA
    This one is a wether too so I'm hoping that'll be in my favor

7. ksalvagno

Can you go back to the person you bought them from and have them reburned? I would go ahead and do that. Especially if he is a wether.