What To Do about Flies

Discussion in 'Horses' started by KatieO, Mar 27, 2017.

1. KatieO

KatieO New Member

Mar 24, 2017
    I have four horses and if you have horses, you probably know flies are not fun.
    Flies bother all of my horses when the time comes but especially my paint mare. The flies bite her so bad that her legs will start to bleed. I use Pyranha fly spray and it works pretty good for everybody except my mare's legs and only her legs. Everybody also has a fly mask.
    For my mare's legs, I always put a little extra fly spray on but it doesn't work.
    I have been thinking about getting her fly boots. Is that a good idea or is there something else I could do?

2. BrokenArrowRanch

BrokenArrowRanch Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Fly boots would be a good idea. Are you sure this isnt a funky skin problem?
    Also get fly predators. They are little bugs that dont bother animals or humans. But they lay their eggs in the flies eggs and it kills the flies before they hatch. I have used them for a few years and can see the difference if i miss a month. I rarely use any fly spray at all. I do use fly masks because i have paints with sensitive white skin and im afraid of cancer. For 4 horses( depending on how many other critters you have) theyre about $20 per month

3. KatieO

KatieO New Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Alright, I think I might end up trying fly predators.
    And no it is not a skin condition because I have seen flies land on her legs, see her twitch in pain, and see a small stream of blood trickle down. However, I will check with my vet when she comes out again for spring shots.

4. BrokenArrowRanch

BrokenArrowRanch Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Poor girl. I would probably do fly boots still as the fly pedators can take a good month to kick in. If shes that ate up i would probably bandage her legs a few days to let them heal and give her a breal from the bitting

5. Madgoat

Madgoat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use Equi Spot, and have for years.... I love it! My gelding has horrible no see um allergies and this is the ONLY product that gives him relief. It works on flies also.

6. PeggyAndPatty

PeggyAndPatty New Member

Nov 28, 2017
    you could put fly boots, fly masks and spray

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    This thread is a bit old, but wanted to share what I tried for fly control this year. These work GREAT!

IMG_7062.JPG IMG_7067.JPG

ksalvagno and mariarose like this.
  8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Those and the fly trap bags work well too.