The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought a bottle baby from a lady who owns a big dairy she told me that she had a clean closed herd. This year I was at an auction to buy some chickens, it's also a goat sale, lo and behold up polls the same truck I got my baby goats out of. The lady didn't recognize me but I 100% recognized her. She brought out a whole bunch of half-dead very sick baby goats and three big does that were in milk with large abscesses in there udders. I was worried that the baby that I bought from her was infected so I tested her for CL and the test came back positive. I sold her to a lady with full disclosure that she had CL the lady wanted to make sure she tested her for the other diseases as well. The test results just came back and she's positive for CAE as well. I had her living with my other goats my other goats came from a positively clean tested herd. But this lady is knowingly selling infectious animals is there anything I can do to have her shut down before she infects too many naive people like me? Is there someone we can call and report her to?

I'm worried I'm going to have to cull my entire herd now because this one lady decided to lie. I go in Monday to get blood pulled on all of my goats and sent to a lab so I should have results by next Friday.

·
Registered
31,045 Posts
How old was the bottle baby when you tested for CL and new owner tested for CAE?

Sadly I don't think much can be done. You can certainly warn your friends and let word get out but nothing illegal to flip a goat. It's best that we as buyers ask for proof of testing.
I wouldn't worry about your herd if the baby never had a cyst. As for CAE, it is unlikely to spread to herd members.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought her last year as a bottle baby so she was a yearling this year when we tested her.
I hate myself for not testing her sooner. She got pregnant and kidded with me and had afterbirth discharge in the pen with my other goats. I'm not worried about CL but CAE scares me to death!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sorry you are in this position because of someone's negligence. Maybe try contacting the lady and visit with her? Could be she's just ignorant of her goat health and doesn't realize the impact her diseased animals have on other's herds. Hopefully she would listen to reason and take corrective measures to prevent this from happening again. Or it could be she has more nefarious reasons for what she does. Either way, I hope you are able to come up with a program to protect your goats and hopefully help prevent more people from buying from this lady.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Situations like this are so hard. I have been in your shoes where I felt I had to warn the world about a breeder and their unethical and unhonest ways but have found it’s not worth it. Most everyone has what I call a “fan club” and if you dare say something about one of their members you are attacked. I have had it happen to me as well as seen it happen to others. As happybleats stated it’s best to warn you FRIENDS only and promote the importance of buying from tested herd, especially with people who are new to goats.

·
Registered
31,045 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I bought her last year as a bottle baby so she was a yearling this year when we tested her.
I hate myself for not testing her sooner. She got pregnant and kidded with me and had afterbirth discharge in the pen with my other goats. I'm not worried about CL but CAE scares me to death!
I'm sorry you're dealing with this! If it's any consolation, those biosecurity tests aren't considered to be very accurate much before a year of age, anyway, meaning if you had gotten your kid tested right after you bought her, the test results could have easily come back as inaccurate.
I would just start a yearly testing routine with your other goats. They may have not gotten infected at all.

·
I'm watching you
22,373 Posts
Can I suggest that you connect with the Judge Judy show? Once before she was going to do a show where a cae infected goat was sold and the person backed out. It would have brought national attention if she could have done it.
See what you need to do lol.

·
I'm watching you
22,373 Posts
If you do the show have your notes in order, a couple test results. Be calm careful in your speaking and meet her eyes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts