What to do afer assisted birth?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by tremayne, May 4, 2009.

1. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Our Alpine, Nadine, gave birth Sunday, the 3rd. The first buckling presented normally, but the second needed help with his front legs. We had to go in and pull the legs forward into place. My daughter and I wore gloves, but I know we still could have introduced bacteria into Nadine.

The school usually has intrauterine bolus (boli?) on hand, but it was a Sunday and no ag staff was there to get into the medication storage. After two days, won't Nadine's cervix be closed and the bolus impossible to insert? I don't know what we should do to help keep her from any nasty uterine infections. Do we need to start her on antibiotics? The school has LA-200 and Pen-G, but I'm not sure what else.

Just a precaution. I wouldn't want Nadine to get sick, now that she's done so well.

Thanks in advance.

Anna

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you went in more then fingers then put her on 5 days of penicillin if you only went in with your fingers then I wouldnt put her on any antibiotics. THe birth fluids cleaned everythign out and I wouldnt worry about an infection.

3. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I think we'd better do the 5 days of penicillin. For a full-size dairy goat, what would be the correct dosage? SQ or IM? What gauge needle for pen? I know The stuff is thick.

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Anna

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    you can do 1cc per 10 lbs or 1cc per 20 lbs twice a day. Pen G can go IM or SQ but not IV. So pull back on the plunger to make sure you aren't in a vein before you inject it. I use a 20 gauge needle. :)

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use a 3/4 inch 22 gage

6. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Thanks. This ought to be an adventure. I've given SQ injections to puppies and kittens, so SQ it is.

I'll make sure we withdraw before the injection. I just want to make sure we get it right: 1cc per 10 lbs is for 1x daily and
    1cc per 20 lbs is for 2x daily?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I just don't want to make a mistake on a living creature. Thanks again.

Anna

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Anna what i do is use a 16gauge for drawing out since its so thick, take it off let syringe warm in my hand for a few minutes & inject with normal size needle.