The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe a few of my goats are having zinc issues. My question is what exactly do you do for zinc issues? I’ve seen many many different things but I’d like someone’s exact directions and links for the exact product they use. See below for details of my issue.

The main issue is in one of my bucks. He has horrible flaky skin, hair loss on his ears nose and balls, crusty eyes, he stands with his back feet really close together, and recently he’s been holding one of his back feet in the air with no injury or explanation for why the foot is sore. I realized last fall that he had flaky skin and it was possibly a zinc issue. I stopped giving him any alfalfa to lower calcium. He seemed to have some improvement but he still had some dandruff. It was winter so I couldn’t really give him a bath to see if the dandruff was new or just what was stuck in his hair.
Then this spring my does milk production was lacking so I started looking into the minerals I was providing. I discovered that the high iron in my water meant that I needed to copper bolus more often. I had been doing every 6 months but decided to bolus at 3 months. This made a huge improvement. Their coats all look so much healthier, fishtail gone, and milk production increased. The buck specifically started looking in a lot better health! But then his skin started looking really flaky again and he started lifting the back foot and becoming very sedentary. Two of my does started having flaky skin as well and milk production still isn’t as good as it should be in those two. I do feed a diet high in alfalfa to my does in milk. I’m not sure how to cut some this out without causing a decrease in production which is already not great.
At the same time I was researching about the copper/ iron issue, I looked into the mineral I was providing free choice (New Country Organics brand)and realized that it didn’t have any zinc at all! So I also changed their mineral to Mana Pro Goat mineral. The instructions for this say to use as a top dress so I have been doing that and everyone has been getting their share every day. But I haven’t seen any improvement and I think the flaky skin seems to be getting even worse.

·
Super Moderator
58,105 Posts
I buy powder zinc gluconate. I put about a tablespoon in about 3 cups of loose mineral. I just bought it on Amazon from I think Bulk Supplements. No directions. I just winged it and played around with it. When my goats had problems, I added the zinc once a week. Now I add once a month.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I buy powder zinc gluconate. I put about a tablespoon in about 3 cups of loose mineral. I just bought it on Amazon from I think Bulk Supplements. No directions. I just winged it and played around with it. When my goats had problems, I added the zinc once a week. Now I add once a month.
Thank you. So you add the minerals? Are those free choice? And did you give to your entire herd?

·
Super Moderator
58,105 Posts
My loose goat minerals are always out. I add the zinc to it. Do you have a good loose mineral out for your goats?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,276 Posts
Ok, so...

Manna Pro Goat Mineral isn't great on zinc as well. I ALWAYS have zinc problems with this mineral. I would switch to Sweetlix Meat Maker or even Sweetlix Magnum Milk to balance the high alfalfa your milkers are getting.

Instead of adding zinc to your loose mineral (I would never do this, I cannot control consumption) I would either buy a sheep mineral high in zinc (but sheep minerals have no copper, so it's basically just a zinc supplement) to offer alongside a good goat mineral, or just provide human zinc pills or Zinpro40/TruCare4 for the ones who need it.

Zinc deficiencies improve fast when properly supplemented. If you don't see improvement in a month, I would suspect vitamin A/D/E deficiencies.

·
Super Moderator
58,105 Posts
If you have all the right minerals and feed at your local store or you can afford to have it shipped, that is great. But I'm sure I'm not the only one whose local TSC and other feed stores stink when it comes to goats and even cattle. Some of us have to get creative with how we supplement because we have a budget we have to stay within. I watch my goats very closely daily and really watch if I make changes or additions. I haven't had to worm my goats in over a year and they have very nice dark eyelids. So I must be doing something right. Not everyone is as fortunate to be able to get the perfect mineral and feed. There are those of us who have to be more creative to make what is available and affordable work.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Did you find it helped with the issues?

·
Super Moderator
58,105 Posts
Yes. I realized my goats were zinc deficient. I started by putting it in their mineral weekly. Now I put it in their mineral once a month. Seems to be working. I'm not doing blood work to verify but going by looks and actions.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Yes. I realized my goats were zinc deficient. I started by putting it in their mineral weekly. Now I put it in their mineral once a month. Seems to be working. I'm not doing blood work to verify but going by looks and actions.
Well, that’s great! I looked at amazon Canada, I can only see tablets, not powder. What is the brand you got?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts