The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buck broke into the regular pen with the does so he's now free grazing with them....i have a 6th mo old doe along with a 4mo old doe. I'm nervous that he bred them although has shown no signs of it, im nervous that he will soon breed them if he hasnt already.....should i keep him with my little doelings or not? Keep in mind he is only 6months himself

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
No do not keep the buck with young does. a buck at 6 mos. is old enough to breed.I have a doe that got bred at 4 months old accidentally and is due in the next couple days. My buck got out for only half a day and now she is pregnant unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Get him out. If he needs a buddy, either get another male or put one of the older girls that you wouldn't mind getting bred in with him.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do, but the pen i would have him in is with 2 calves.....would that be fine or should i stick another wether in there with him?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
IMO if you have a friend to put in with him that would be better but even if you don't just get him out of there with the young does. :)

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I agree with whats said...

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
He should be fine with the calves. I had a buck that lived with a couple calves (steers) and they were best friends. The buck would even try breeding the calves :laugh:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hes being a total pain ha he keeps getting out of his pen and going into the does/whether pen. And i have no idea how...i think ill have to seperate their pasture with electric wire or something....anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Last year I had a 6 month old buck breed a 10 week old doe, a 6 month old doe, a 4 month old doe and a 5 month old doe. This year the bucks are behind a woven wire fence with a hot wire 18 inches off the ground along the fences that join the doe pens.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Last year I had a 6 month old buck breed a 10 week old doe, a 6 month old doe, a 4 month old doe and a 5 month old doe. This year the bucks are behind a woven wire fence with a hot wire 18 inches off the ground along the fences that join the doe pens.
Did they have trouble having kids or did you abort?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya same here id like to know if they had trouble kidding, Also I'm getting a two year old boer goat nanny tomorrow so that should keep him busy for a little while lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is the nanny, another free goat but this one is being givin to me by my neighbors who are very close friends to my family so nothing remotely fishy there. Either way im excited and ecstatic to see my herd growing so fast in a positive way!

ForumRunner_20130726_232432.jpg

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts